Ptae100 .... Price Japan ... Nw Demo

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mark Amayao, May 9, 2002.

1. Mark Amayao

Mark Amayao Stunt Coordinator

HELLO ALL .....

OK upgrade bug has hit and I think this may be the cure ..... a projector

Now I have upgraded all of my equipment and will soon be acquiring a denon dvd1600 prog. player .... and a free suite of energy c-series speakers ( love contests ) and a s10.2 sub

My beloved PT47WX51 is awesome ... bought it in the beginning of december and love it to death ...

i frequent this site a lot and never considered a front projection system ...

I came across chris collins theater ... and the information was straight to the point about how easy it really is to put together a fp-theater ... at minimul cost. AHHHH its all your fault lol .... loved his ideas now im in trouble ... thanks though.

but now here are my questions ... and other input is greatly appreciated.

Price japan .. how easy are they to deal with ... are the products like the ptae100 basically plug and play or do i have to deal with issues like Voltage 220 or 120 when it arrives? ... DENON DVD 1600 WITH DCDI scale of 1-10 how good of a source is this for the ptae100 ... component video with a screen size of 90" using chris collins' design? seating distance of maybe 10-12 feet. better screen size suggestion? ... ambient light is controlled ... can be pitch black if needed.

AND FINALLY ANYBODY HERE IN THE PORTLAND OREGON AREA HAVE A PTAE100 THAT I CAN MAYBE GET A GLIMPSE OF? ... IVE SEEN AWESOME SCREEN CAPS AT ANOTHER FORUM.BUT OF COURSE FIRST PERSON IS BEST.

I love this forum everyone is helpful either directly or indirectly ... this will be the cure ... Im done with upgrades really I PROMISE!

THANKS ALL.............

2. LaMarcus

LaMarcus Screenwriter

Hey Mark, who is chris collins? I dont see him in the member listing.

3. Michael Caicedo

Michael Caicedo Second Unit

Michael Caicedo

4. LaMarcus

LaMarcus Screenwriter

Hey Mike, when are you going to post so pics?

5. Mark Amayao

he is posted on member theaters under "front projection theaters"

but how is the denon dvd1600 with faroudja dcdi as a source?

maybe scale it from one to ten? Ive heard and read about using a htpc .... using it to match pixel for pixel. cheapest way i can get a tower with dvd rom and the necessary software to run it like theatertek or windvd.

necessary specs of the computer and im talking cheap .... as an alternative to the denon .... which would be better? denon dvd or htpc?

6. LaMarcus

LaMarcus Screenwriter

Most likely HTPC, cus it's versatile, but it may cost more than the denon (I'm not sure what that denon cost but, HTPC runs 500-1200+)

7. Andrew_Ballew

Andrew_Ballew Second Unit

8. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

Easiest route is interlaced player with an iscan V1 plugged into ae100 VGA port. Looks awesome. Also the iscan can then be used for your other interlaced sources too. HTPC is good with the right video card (ATI or anything with iCDT or motion compensation) but kinda expensive and cumbersome compared to a stand alone DVD player.

9. Mark Amayao

yes andrew that helped a lot and i am a lot more secure with doing business with price japan.

I may go with my denon dvd1600 with dcdi (499.99) most likely ..... but curious how much an iscan v1 would cost .... assuming this is some sort of external scaler/de-interlacer video proccessing unit ..

thanks for the input folks think i might do it ... hhmmm

thinkin about sellin the TV or give it to the folks ... will prolly let it go for the right price ... thanks all

10. LaMarcus

LaMarcus Screenwriter

Unless I'm mistaken, but, if your denon dvd player has progressive scan on it, it will do what the iscan will do. I think line doublers maybe better than prog. dvd players but I really can't remember.

11. Andrew_Ballew

Andrew_Ballew Second Unit

12. Gabriel_Lam

Gabriel_Lam Screenwriter

One thing you may want to try is the Viewsonic VB50HRTV. The AE100's native resolution, where it produces the best PQ, is 852x480, which the $99 Viewsonic VB50HRTV has (848x480 to be exact), and the iScan does not. Personally, this is what I'd do if it was my money:

Denon 1600 (great choice BTW) out to a RGB transcoder (Audio Authority, Key Digital, etc) to the VGA input on the VB50, scaled to pixel perfect 848x480, to the VGA input on the AE100. You don't need a TV tuner because the VB50 has one built in.

The iScan (especially the Pro) is another great choice, but for the money, I'd give the nod to the VB50.

13. LaMarcus

LaMarcus Screenwriter

So how much more of a picture improvement are the projectors with the resolution of 1024xblah-blah, etc?

14. Gabriel_Lam

Gabriel_Lam Screenwriter

It varies with different projectors. With HDTV, you'll see the biggest improvement because all of the extra pixels are actually necessary (up to 1920x1080, I'd assume). With DVD and standard TV, you'd probably see less of a difference, most of which relates to the screendoor phenomenon (the more pixels you have, the closer you tend to have to be to see the screendoor).

15. LaMarcus

LaMarcus Screenwriter

Oh okay , thanks I was wondering about that, because I plan to get a FP soon and I was concerned about how res. was going to affect the picture quality. But I will only use it for dvds anyway. I'll use my tv for HD.

BTW Gabe, what da hell is that website link in your profile do you work for apex of somethin? I'm expecting to see a home theater in there, lol....

16. Gabriel_Lam

Gabriel_Lam Screenwriter

LaMarcus:
    I guess it all comes down to how much you want to spend. There are some great projectors for all budgets. If you have the budget for XGA, you may end up prefering it to your TV for HDTV. Just a warning. [​IMG]
    GotApex is my website, but it's not a home theater website (& I personally am not a HT dealer). We just keep track of online deals, bargains, and coupons, most of which are computer and electronics related. Home theater just happens to be a hobby of mine, and I've bought more than my share of projectors in the last year or so. My current projector is an XGA model:
    http://www.proxima.com/projectors/projector_detail.asp?pID=dp8000 [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Three 1.3" PolySilicon TFT LCD's with Micro Lens Array
    4:3 native XGA, 5:4 and 16:9 supported
    800:1 Full on/off contrast
    3000 ANSI lumens
    85% uniformity
    270 watt, 1500 hour SHP lens
    13.2 lbs
    Silicon Image PureProgressive DVDO processor w/10bit Video DACs
    VGA (x2), DVI-D with HDCP compatibility, 5BNC, S-Vid, Composite
    USB, Ethernet, RS-232
    Two 2.5watt speakers plus 20watt subwoofer

17. LaMarcus

LaMarcus Screenwriter

So Gabe, how much did that run you, and what do you do with the projectors when you upgrade?

18. Gabriel_Lam

Gabriel_Lam Screenwriter

The current one (new) ran me $2940 shipped. I'll probably end up using it until I get bored with it and selling it for more later. That's what I've done with all of them. It's a good way to pay for the upgrades. If I didn't do this, there's no way the wife would let me constantly buy new toys. [​IMG]