PT47WX51 - Gregg ... converge/overscan issue

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mark Amayao, Jan 20, 2002.

1. Mark Amayao

Mark Amayao Stunt Coordinator

Dec 13, 2001
    Oh my god ....... i love my tv! ...... i did manual focus as well as e-focus and my blooming blues are gone convergence i say is perfect ... cant spot one convergence error in the picture ... did lens striping ... basically an eyeball job of it but fixed red hue on right side as well as thin red line up and down edge ... well combination of e-focus and lens striping .... awesome picture ... but i know full well youre capable of much more ....... one thing thats kind of nagged me is .. overscan ... i made a compromise on overscan .... didnt know how much i was missing till i noticed somethin i didnt notice before at work .. consumer electronics retail ..... while demoing phantom menace for customers on an audio sustem ... i noticed on the "nubian menu" that i could see more of the other ship docked ... more accuratey i can see more passed the door way in the menu ..... and on my panny im only a little passed the door ...... basically i can get the whole picture on my tv only if i had about an inch and a 1/2 more screen horizontally ....... i tried reducing overscan ... but a convergence problem comes up ..... those bent lines on the red gun that you just cant seem to straighten basically just one bent section .... as well as one corner on the left side for the blue gun .... bent lines .... and i hate em! ..... any solutions my friend? ......i know the behaviour of these lines inside and out as well in fine mode using easy, point ,g.point and line, i know how they react to everything you do using these functions .... tried everythign ... know the remote inside and out in the service menu ..... im like commander data from star trek when working on the tv ..... hahahaha ... but please help!
  2. Gregg Loewen

Gregg Loewen Video Standards Instructor, THX Ltd.

Nov 9, 1999
    Gregg Loewen
    Are you using any kind of test DVD for measuring overscan??
    I suggest using Avia. Dont use Video Essentials as the overscan screen is not centered.
    Setting overscan at less than 5% is a trade off. It becomes very hard to do accurate convergence around the edges. In addition that are many programs / sources that just arent perfectly centered and then you could see electronic info that is supposed to be off the screen.
    FYI, all the templates that Ive seen / used for geometry have been set for 5%. this work very well, as when you adjust the geometry you are also adjusting overscan. It takes a lot of the thinking out of the process.
    Always remember not to keep your geometry patterns (or any other static pattern)on your screen for more than 15 -20 minutes. This can cause burn in.
    Sounds like your well on your way [​IMG]