PT-L300u, use a progressive player or not?

Discussion in 'Displays' started by DarrinH, Jul 31, 2003.

1. DarrinH

DarrinH Second Unit

I am new to front projection and I have a low end Sony progressive scan DVD player (NSP750 I think). Should I send the projector a progressive image or interlaced? Is the scaler better in the player or projector?

2. Bob Maged

Bob Maged Stunt Coordinator

Please don't take this the wrong way, but why don't you just do an "A - B" test with various demo material and draw your own conclusions. Then you can report back to us how it went.

FWIW, I feed my PT-L200U a progressive signal from my RP-91 DVD player. I assume it is better than interlaced and haven't tried sending an interlaced signal. MY HDTV is via Comcast using the Motorola 5100. The 720P signal looks much smoother and is more pleasing to watch than the 1080i signal.

3. Michael Pineo

Michael Pineo Stunt Coordinator

I'm not sure if this is dependent on the DVD player itself, but when I switched from an non-progressive scan player to progressive scan, the improvement was much more than I had expected. The image is much crisper now, and this is from a DVD player that only cost $119. I would go with Bob's suggestion and see how it looks both ways.

MikeP