What's new

PT Cruiser or VW Jetta TDI....... (1 Viewer)

Kevin Alexander

Screenwriter
How do you feel about PT Cruisers? Do you like them? I'm trying to decide between it and the VW Jetta for my wife to drive. I'm leaning toward the 2003/2004 Jetta w/ the diesel engine option, but I'm a little concerned about its reliability. Does anyone have any experience w/ either? The Cruiser is lower in price, but the Jetta looks more attractive. What would you do? Thanks.

Christ Reynolds

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ
definitely the jetta tdi. i'm not so sure the pt cruiser is rock solid in reliability. we have a new jetta, been very solid for us for a few years now. go with the jetta, you will love it.

CJ

Matt Stryker

Screenwriter
Real Name
Matt
Are you getting the 5-speed or the auto on the TDI? it can make a decent dent in the mileage for the auto, and the autos are a bit more trouble prone.

Check out www.TDIClub.com for everything you want to know and more about TDI problems, fixes, mods, tips, i mean these people probably know more collectively about this car than VW.

I have a Jetta TDI, my mother-in-law has an 03 Cruiser. She has already had transmission problems, and while the driving position (upright with legs going downward, like in a chair) is nice, its not as roomy as it looks and the handling/acceleration was somewhat subpar. Chrysler is notorious for bad reliability. Although, parts to replace on the Chry will be cheaper than the VW. I've had some issues with the MAF (Mass Airflow sensor) and glow plug harness on my wifes TDI, but these are relatively cheap repairs ($200 and $40) compared to major items like transmissions/engines.

If the choice is between those two cars, I would pick the Jetta TDI without hesitation. If the dealership has one to test drive, try it out at highway speeds and feel what that torque can do. Have you looked at the TDI Wagon? that might add some more room for cargo.

A word to the wise, however. The main Atlanta VW dealer (Jim Ellis) is notoriously one of the worst in the country when it comes to service; they even sued one of the VW forums because the badmouthing got so bad. My advice is to try to purchase either from Heritage VW in Austell or Union City or Dwight Harrison in Snellville. The TDIClub guys can be real helpful with finding dealers/getting you in touch with the right dealer at the right price. The support they provide really is amazing.

Christ Reynolds

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ
actually, i believe the warranty has been extended on this part, we had to replace it but received a reimbursement form to fill out, got our money back. if you havent received it, i'd check with your favorite local vw dealership on info. and tdiclub is the best source on vw tdi cars out there, it is the htf equivalent...those guys know a great deal about the cars.

CJ

JeremySt

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeremy
I Drive a 1.8T Golf, and I love it. 41k miles and no problems. www.vwvortex.com go to the forums and look up the TDI. Youll like getting 50+ miles to the gallon. I personally think all Diamler products stink, but thats just me;)

Lance Nichols

Supporting Actor
I drive the '03 GT Cruiser, and it is a BLAST to drive. The N/A cruisers can feel a little underpowered, especially when cruising on the freeway with A/C on full.

You don't have to go for the full GT if you want a little more pep in the PT's step, as DaimlerChrysler has introduced a 180HP "detuned" Turbo.

I have had NO mechanical problems with my GT, and the only "problem" I have was a weeping windshield washer nozzle, replaced under warrantee.

The PT has quite the following, with lots of aftermarket accessories, owners clubs and meets, such as Cruise the Falls which can be TONS of fun.

Topher

Stunt Coordinator
I recommend the Jetta, but one question... why isn't your wife picking the car she will be driving?

Andrew W

Supporting Actor

No, no, no. The PT Cruiser is much more attractive. It is also the perfect height to get into and out of easily. No climbing up or stooping down to get in. I have a 5 speed that is fine as long as you don't want to drive like a speed demon. It holds a lot of stuff if you put the seats down. I've 36K miles and almost 3 years and have only had one warranty problem which was a side impact airbag sensor failure.

Jason Merrick

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason Merrick
I love how people are stating as fact which car is better looking... IMHO the PT Cruiser is pretty ugly, that said I have driven the SRT-4 which has the same (I think) engine as the GT Cruiser and that car was a blast. If I was going to get a PT Cruiser, I would definitely get the GT. Having owned two Chrysler products, I will personally never again purchase one. I had so many problems with both vehicles, and sat in the Service Dept waiting room with so many other people who had so many other problems...

Then again, I don't think either of your choices are thought of as models of reliability... so pick the one you like the best, and just make sure you pay for an extended warranty! :)

Orlando

Stunt Coordinator
I've always said that Chrysler has some of the best looking cars around. But they build crap. If it is for your wife and you don't want to be worried about her getting stuck somewhere stay very far away. My in-laws had a LHS that the transmission died during the 1st year on a lease and they just gave it back when they said that they couldn't fix it in under a week.

I had a Cirrus with an extended warranty and while I was making payments I lost my radio, cd box, power antenna, ABS (which they swear had no problem and I later got into an accident when my brakes locked up.) and my transmission literally exploded with pieces falling off the car. All of which for one amazing reason or another were never covered under the extended warranty. When I wrote a letter to Chrysler Corp. some lady called me up mad and yelling at me about how I was wasting their time writing letters. In case you were curious only my wife and I drove that car and neither of us are abusive drivers. Following all maintenance schedules.

Mark Murphy

Supporting Actor
Right before I began my illustrious career as a Central Office Tech w/Ma Bell, I worked in the Parts Dept of a local Chrysler dealership. Lets just say I was a very busy person. The transmissions were kept in a trailer about 200 yds away from the building and I hauled at least 2 or 3 of them a week to the service dept. I would stay as far away from Chrysler as possible.

Jeff Perry

Stunt Coordinator
Jetta TDI. +/- 50 miles to the gallon. My coworker drives like 600 miles on a single $15 tank of gas. It's insane and it makes me jealous.

The TDI has another bonus: During a gas crisis, you'll always be able to find fuel, because the diesel has to keep pumping. Trucking provides us with food and other necessities and the diesel fuel will be available much longer than regular old gasoline if the world goes to hell. Your diesel will also burn home heating oil. It's illegal to use but again, handy if things go to hell. You can also burn straight vegetable oil with an inexpensive kit. Checkout www.greasel.com. I think you can run on propane, too, with a small modification.

The TDIs of today are not the smelly old diesels of yesterday. Go drive one, you will be pleasantly surprised. Also, VWs are a blast to drive. The braking and handling just blows me away.

Do buy a bumper to bumper extended warranty. You should be able to fanagle them way down on the price of the warranty. I bought a 100k mile warranty for like $1200. Bumper to bumper and no deductable if serviced at the issuing dealership. Saved my ass when the window motors and fuel door solenoid on my '00 Beetle went to hell. They even paid when I took it off road trying to get to a remote cabin, punched a hole in the oil pan, and drove for 15 minutes with absolutely no oil because the stupid dummy light didn't come on.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Agreed. Even though a lot of people have good luck with Chrylers, that doesn't mean the that you will too. The percentages are in your favor for getting a piece of crap.

p.s. Every time I get behind a PT Cruiser, it feels like I'm following a herse. :eek: Unless that's the look you're going for ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks