PT-53WX52 Calibration

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dave Hicks, Oct 3, 2002.

1. Dave Hicks

Dave Hicks Auditioning

Hello I am a newbie of all things HT. I have purchased the PT-53WX52 (thanks to the info on I've found here on the forum) and I am looking for the best way to do basic calibrations to get the best picture quality possible. I am currently running Dish Network over S-video and a playstation 2 and Xbox over component. I plan to get a progressive scan DVD player early next year. I am planning to purchase Avia and I assume this is the best place to start. I would appreciate any tips to get me started though.

2. Gregg Loewen

Gregg Loewen Video Standards Instructor, THX Ltd.
    Insider

Gregg Loewen
    First, dont buy Avia (if all you want to do is set up the front panel controls). Find a DVD with the THX optimode at the start of it and use it to set your front panel controls. Or you could purchase the sound and vision setup disc which costs about $15. Buy Avia when you get a little more comfortable with your set and want to start adjusting geometry , overscan , etc.

Second, turn your contrast and brightness controls below mid point. Brightness is easily set using the above mentioned test discs. Contrast is much harder. You should be watching your tv in warm mode. However, Panasonic sets are VERY BAD at having good color out of the box so you are having a crap shoot on that one. So just find a color temp where you like the look of things.

Best of luck

Gregg

3. Dave Hicks

Dave Hicks Auditioning

Thanks for the info Gregg,

4. Manuel Parrado

Manuel Parrado Stunt Coordinator

5. Patricio M

Patricio M Agent

Warm Mode is closest to NTSC standard