PT-52WX42 Grainy?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by TomK, Sep 16, 2002.

1. TomK

TomK Stunt Coordinator

Hey All,

I finally bit the bullet and got a new Panny PT-52WX42 and for the most part love it. The problem that I'm having is that it seems to be grainy when playing DVD's in Progressive mode with my RP-91. I haven't had a chance to check it with S-VID to see how that is. I'm not sure if I need to acclimate to a RPTV and/or I'm seeing the fact the DVD is not yet HD-DVD.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,
    Tom

2. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

Tom,

Have you calibrated the set with AVIA or VE? If not, try doing so. Until you can get one of these discs, try turning sharpness down to 30% or less.

Another factor is that a high-resolution big screen tv will display film grain on movies that is not visible on smaller lower resolution sets.

In other words, the grain may be in the film source the dvd was mastered from.
    Many film directors and cinematographers shoot thier movies intentionally to show film grain--the Godfather films are good examples of this.

If the amount of grain you see differs from disc to disc (try Fast and Furious for an almost grain-free movie as opposed to the Godfather movies or AI) there is no problem. You just have a display that has enough resolution to faithfully reproduce the image the director intended.

3. Manuel Parrado

Manuel Parrado Stunt Coordinator

4. TomK

TomK Stunt Coordinator

I should have added in the original post that I have calibrated with Avia and done all of the basic convergence. I haven't noticed any difference in Prog vs. Interlaced but I will check and post here. I am also going to rent Fast and Furious to check it out.

Tom

5. Manuel Parrado

Manuel Parrado Stunt Coordinator

6. JohnnyG

JohnnyG Screenwriter

Sharpness should be set at no more than 10. With some sources, anything above 0 is clearly visible on test patterns. Also, make sure 'Video NR' is ON (sounds counter-intuitive but this actually defeats electronic edge enhancement) and VM is OFF.

On the RP91, try turning the MPEG noise reduction features on and see if this makes a difference.

7. elMalloc

elMalloc Supporting Actor

thank for the tips johnnyG. I may utilize them if I purchae a panny 47wx42

8. Ming Wang

Ming Wang Agent

I have panny 53wx42. I followed the instructions at http://www.panny.tv and did 64 point convergence followed by Avia calibration. the image was greatly improved.

9. elMalloc

elMalloc Supporting Actor

how hard is 64 piont convergence?

10. Ming Wang

Ming Wang Agent

it's not too hard, but is time consuming (1~2 hours)... download the service manual and start from coarse convergence. remember entering service menu resets user menu thus you need to change those settings back or calibrate again (color, brightness etc.)