PT-47WX51C ?? vs Sony, Pioneer and Mitsubishi??

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Chris PC, Mar 24, 2002.

1. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

Just wondering....I've been looking mainly at these sets:

Pioneer SD-533HD5 53"

Mitsubishi Platinum WS-55809 55" HDTV HD upgradable

Sony KP57HW40 & KP51HW40

How does the Panasonic PT-47WX51C or PT-56WX51 compare to the above sets, particularly its line doubling? I am comparing the above sets because as far as I know, they all pass and display 480p natively, right?

So how do the above panasonics fit in?

2. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Yes, they will display 480p natively.

As for the Panny--I've seen one of these properly set up at a local high-end boutique-type of store. It puts out one beautiful picture--really gorgeous. And at some of the street prices it's going for, the thing is a major, world-class bargain. Go for it!

Our own Gregg Loewen has calibrated one of these things, I believe. If I recall correctly, he loved the set. His opinion would heavily influence my own decision.

3. Dwight Amato

Dwight Amato Stunt Coordinator

I have the PT47WX51 and I love it. Out of the box it definately needs some tweaking (like an set) but after around 2 hours total of messing around with the set I love it. The picture is fantastic, and that is only with DVD, I can't wait for HDTV!

4. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

Right, the other deciding factor is that it looks good only with progressive DVD's. I also have Laserdiscs and plan to watch them for a while before letting them go. If ntsc cable, vhs and ld look really lousy on the Panasonic, then it worth it for me to at least get the Sony 51" KP51HW40 for instance.

So how much do people generally charge for the tweaking? I know that some people are making a living calibrating these sets, but isn't there something in the "sales of goods and services act" that the sets manufacturers sell should at least be optimally configured and calibrated when you buy them brand new? I think its appalling that they are so bad out of the box.

5. JohnnyG

JohnnyG Screenwriter

The problem is, for far too many people, they are not "so bad" out of the box! In fact, they look just fine. Unfortunately, most of the public isn't used to watching a properly calibrated TV.

As for calibrating the Panasonic, the price will vary from person to person. I'm in Mississauga and if you're interested in my rates, drop me a line.

6. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

Cool. Ok then. I'm really not sure when I'll buy a set like one of those. Maybe in a couple months, maybe in a couple of years. I'm not quite sure. Can you calibrate any brand of set or just specific brands? What sort of range of cost is there? High and low ballpark for calibrating a set? I've not checked into that yet. Good to know for the future though.
    thanks [​IMG]

7. Arthur S

Arthur S Cinematographer

Chris
    I hate to sound like a broken record, but
    according to CR the only 16:9 set they tested that exelled with standard definition material is the Pioneer 533. Here is the entire list of HD capable rear projectors. Listed from best to worst based on picture quality with standard definition source material. The 4:3 Hitachi 53UDX10b and Pioneer 533 were the only sets rated very good picture quality with standard definition material. All the rest were a step below. The rest of the list in descending order:
    Sony KP-53HS20-30
    Toshiba HD50H81
    Hitachi 53UWX10b
    SonyKP-57HW40
    Samsung PCL5415R
    Phillips 55PP9401
    Panasonic PT-47WX51
    RCA Scenium HD65W20
    Mitsubishi WS-55809
    Samsung PCL545R
    Panasonic PT-51HX41
    Panasonic PT-56WX51
    Sharp 55R-WP4H
    No one else lines all these models up in a lab, uses the same known quality source material and compares them. This is the most objective test information you are going to get. Please feel free to ignore this test and instead rely on ancidotal information.
    Artie

8. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

Right, so the Pioneer is the best wih standard definition material. Hitachi upconverts 480p to 540p but doesn't do as bad a job as the poorer Toshiba's, but the Panasonic does a better job with 480p. Hmmm. Tough call, but for me, it would be between the Pioneer 533 and the Sony KP HW's.

I can't find Pioneer HD sets at the Future Shop. Its not the only place I shop, but its a nice place to use as a volume benchmark, mainly because you can deal there, or get 0 interest for 6-12 months. Plus they also have Sony and Panasonic. I wonder why they don't have Pioneer HD 16:9 on the website. Maybe I'll go there and check it out.

9. Arthur S

Arthur S Cinematographer

Chris
    Onecall has the Pioneer 533 for $2,879.10 delivered . The are expecting a shipment soon. From what you have posted before, you are not ready to drop $3K on a TV right now anyway.
    Artie

10. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

Thanks, thats USD too! So thats 4,561.44 CAD with todays exchange rate. Not bad. Thats ultra competitive with the Sony KP51 and 56" sets and pretty nearly inbetween them in screen size. Too bad with shipping to Canada and the fact that, well, it would cost more than just the above exchange rate conversion. Yeah, I'm not ready to buy now, but I'm doing my research. And of course I came across DVI and HDCP which is a whole other can of stinky worms!

11. JohnnyG

JohnnyG Screenwriter

Chris, I generally work on what I sell which is Toshiba and Panasonic. On these I can do a full-out calibration (including brand specific tweaks), but I can do a basic 'ISF' job on pretty much anything. Rates run from about $300 to $700, depending on the set and what you want done.