What's new

International Psychoville / Inside No 9 (1 Viewer)

bigshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen
I've been watching these two series on blu-rays I got from Amazon UK. These series were created by Reece Shearsmith and Steve Pemberton who were behind The League of Gentlemen. They're among the most skillful writers and talented performers working today. The two principles are capable of playing any kind of character- young or old, male or female- and be totally convincing at it. They are brilliant comedians as well as actors.

psychoville-line-up.jpeg

Psychoville takes an incredibly unlikely group of people... a midget, a clown, a nurse who thinks her baby doll is real, a blind toy collector, and an autistic serial killer and his elderly mother... and creates an incredibly surreal suspense story around them. There were two seasons with a Halloween special between series 1 & 2. The series lurches between murder mystery, black comedy and crime show, climaxing in a jaw dropping science fiction climax that you have to see to believe.

inside-no-9_2813220k.jpg

Inside No 9 is like a cross between Monty Python, Alfred Hitchcock Presents and The Twilight Zone. The only link between episodes is that the story takes place at a home with the street address of Number 9. The episodes start with an audacious cinematic technique and build a suspense story around it. (The series was inspired by an episode of Psychoville that is shot in one continuous take like Alfred Hitchcock's Rope.) I've only watched the first few episodes, but so far one episode takes place entirely in a bedroom and closet, another one with burglars stealing a valuable modern art painting in a rich man's house was totally silent with no dialogue, and another involved a story where the lines between reality and fantasy get totally blurred.

There's nothing else on TV remotely like these series. If you're looking for something different than what you get on American TV, check these out.

There's a complete box set of Psychoville on blu-ray (2 seasons) and Inside No 9 has three seasons as separate releases. Image and sound quality are great.

Interdimensional

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Ed
I concur entirely. There were moments where Psychoville was absolutely masterful. Some parts almost heartlessly cruel, then poignant, then brilliantly absurd and hilarious. There are of course two competing clowns, with very different ideas of what clowning is all about. The panto love triangle storyline was also great. Debbie/Snow White was so funny, I suspect channeling something of Debbie McGee.

...It's not my usual habit, but with the meandering storyline and all the cliffhangers, I could've easily binge-watched the whole show straight through.

Inside Number 9 is one of those wonderful self-contained anthology type shows where each episode is its own fully formed thing. Every episode is totally different and unique. The comfort support line episode was a standout. Incredible writing, amazing impact. I also liked the episode with the homeless man, and the gothic episode.

Last edited:

bigshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen
I've only seen the homeless man episode of the ones you mention. I thought the first episode with the closet was the best constructed story I've ever seen, even if the ending was a bit out of the blue. The second episode with the burglars reminded me of Jacques Tati. These guys are at the peak of their game. They should bring this stuff to the US. I think it would be huge.

They are very mean, but that is our times. Mr Bean is mean too.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
trishy!
Recent bookmarks