Psychonauts MIA?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Chris Bardon, Apr 25, 2005.

1. Chris Bardon

Chris Bardon Cinematographer

I've noticed that none of the Canadian online retailers seem to have Psychonauts in stock-did the game actually ship up here? I know that it's out in the states (as the photos on doublefine's website can attest), but I have yet to see a copy up here.

Anyone tried the game yet?

2. Romier S

Romier S Producer

I sent you a PM message on the game Chris. Make sure to check it out. To sum up: Buy it immediately[​IMG]

3. Romier S

Romier S Producer

IGN review of Psychonauts is here.

The Gamespot review for the game is here.

I'll say again, if you consider yourself a fan of platformers, well written games, unique visuals, quirky characters, good humor, and just outright good gameplay then this is game you need to own.

4. Joseph Young

Joseph Young Screenwriter

Psychonauts is not a perfect game, but it is so unique that I can easily recommend it to anybody.

The 'mental playgrounds' are hands-down the best part. The imagination (and sheer lunacy) behind some of these levels deserves some kind of videogame award.

The militaristic mental coach:
    A freaky WW2 war scene, b&w films of b2 bombers projected on the crumbling cliff walls, cannons, bombs, barbed wire,giant wrecked boats and airplanes, to a bleak, snowy forest gauntlet.

The suave, neat-freak:
    A cube suspended in a universe of rotating equations and patterns and lines. For a while, at least (hehe)..

The party girl levitation:
    A giant disco party adventure with lots of kitsch designs and colors. And lots of bouncing around.

The giant killer lungfish:
    The most talked-about level in the game. You become Godzilla-sized and you ravage a giant city of terrified, brainwashed lungfish. A cross between katamari damacy and Rampage!

The crazy, paranoid guard:
    A demented cross between MC Escher, Pleasantville, and Twin Peaks. Very disturbing and twisted (quite literally twisted).

The humor is overall, very well done. Not LOL funny, but pretty close in spaces.

Some weaker points in the game (for me):

Some of the humor in the cut scenes (especially in the very beginning) drags on a little too long for my taste. And some of the cute little kid psychonauts' voices get on your nerves, especially during some of the more drawn-out cut-scene conversations.

It's not always immediately obvious how to handle some of the controls (such as the inventory/item use, very counter intuitive). Some of the collision detection during pivotal run/jump levels is really frustrating. Also, the camera angles become downright maddening in certain stages.

The massive hub-world/campground takes a while to get used to. I was checking my map screen once every five seconds for a while.

Despite these small lissues, I am a sucker for this type of game and it has not disappointed me so far. This is the sort of title that makes me very happy that I've held onto this videogaming hobby of mine.

5. Chris Bardon

Probably this summer.

Anyone have any luck finding this game in Canada yet? Nobody seems to have it.

6. Joseph Young

May 10th or 11th, according to Gamestop. I had also heard perhaps June, but the store clerk verified the May date.

An update on Psychnauts (I've got the Xbox version). It pays to experiment with the Psy Powers you attain, even though the 'merit badge' lessons that introduce you to new powers are very brief and, IMO, don't really give you a complete idea of how to use them. The game won't hold your hand on where to go or what items to pick up either, so you really have to be vigilant.

Quick tip: get the dousing rod as early as you can.

I am having a great time with this game, overall.

7. Jay Mitchosky

Jay Mitchosky Producer

It's a refreshing change to see an oft-delayed title with solid front-end publicity actually see the light of day to critical acclaim. [​IMG]

8. Ike

Ike Screenwriter

Grim Fandango is my favorite game ever (and Full Throttle isn't far behind) so I eagerly was awaiting this. I've been playing the hell out of this game today, and I love it. I'm stuck however:

I'm in the guard level, looking for the milkman. I've gotten to the post office and gotten inside. However, I can't progress any further. I checked the guide on Gamespot and it said you haved to have the cobweb duster to get inside and get the plunger as a disguise. I've only got 340 arrowheads, and the duster costs 800. Is there another way in there, and if not, how in the world do I get 500 arrowheads? That seems like it'll take forever.

9. Joseph Young

Ike-

I was also stuck here for a while. This part slowed me down considerably.

Duster:
    Get a dousing rod from the store. Without it, you can't get nearly enough arrowheads. The deep arrowheads that you get by rapidly pressing the Y button when the rod reaches its sound apex, they are worth up to 50 per piece. Within 45 minutes or so, you should have enough.

Plunger:
    Use the psy power that allows you to see through the eyes of another on the cameras in the dark back room there. You can see Raz through the camera's see-in-the-dark vision. The plunger is next to a toilet in the back of the room.

And lastly, here's a last bit of advice:

There are two telephone poles, one on either side of the sewers. Also, when you find yourself stuck, experiment with your powers... make sure you have gotten all of the powers from Agent Cruller before you proceed.

Hope this helps.

10. Ike

Ike Screenwriter

I got past shortly after I posted that-I just ransacked the houses in Milkman world, then shot back to Milla's Dance Party, then back to the houses. I got it pretty quickly.

So far I'm really loving this game. This is a worthy follow-up to Grim Fandango, and I hope the next Schafer game comes out a little quicker.

Did the Milkman/Boyd remind anyone else of Glottis?

11. Chris Bardon

Just finished this game last week, and thought I'd resurrect the thread. Very, very impressive game, and the folks at Double Fine should be proud of it. While I'd love to see a sequel, It's probably better to wait and see what the next original property they can come up with is.

As a suggestion though, it's probably not worth getting 100%. I did, and you unlock an extra scene that's not bad, but nothing special. It's worth getting up to level 95 though, but that shouldn't be all that hard. It's finding the last of the missing figments that took way too much time. Still, it was still fun exploring the levels, which has to count for something!

Still think that the Milkman level was the funniest in the game though ("We are all on the road crew/our backs are killing us"), but I really don't think that there was a single bad level in the bunch.