What's new

PSYCHO to Blu Ray (1 Viewer)

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
I'm waiting for the US release, but now I'm dying to know what that menu music is.

Some people who bought this from the UK are saying there is some pretty bad EE throughout the film, including black lines. I hope this isn't the case.

David Wilkins

Supporting Actor
I hope not, too. Mine is crossing the big pond. Of course, some people will say anything. I've heard nothing similar, from the many sources I've read.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
I guess that's one good reason to hold off a bit -- so hard to trust Universal w/ any older catalog releases.

BTW, is there any diff between the regular vs steelbook edition from UK (other than the case itself)?

_Man_

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
I am going to wait until Mr. Harris chimes in with his thoughts on this release. There have been too many issues with Universal releases recently for me to do otherwise.

Hopefully this will meet with Mr. Harris's seal of approval. I'd like nothing better than to see "Vertigo" and "Rear Window" in BD not to mention the remaining Hitch titles owned by Universal.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve...O

I am going to wait until Mr. Harris chimes in with his thoughts on this release. There have been too many issues with Universal releases recently for me to do otherwise.

Hopefully this will meet with Mr. Harris's seal of approval. I'd like nothing better than to see "Vertigo" and "Rear Window" in BD not to mention the remaining Hitch titles owned by Universal.

I'm afraid I won't be "chiming in" until the domestic is released. In a general sense, and only from the Beaver screen caps, the image looks good, but also in a couple of shots, almost too good, which can present other problems. Please keep in mind that frame grabs do not always yield an accurate picture. If one is attempting to present the film in its original form, I'd be equally concerned that the entire correct (original version) was used as the basis, as well as the question of a color main title sequence, which apparently made its way to some early prints - apparently green, a la N x NW. As I recall, this was noted by a critic in the UK.

RAH

Bleddyn Williams

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bleddyn Williams
I got this a while ago, watched it and then compared it with the Masterpiece Collection DVD.

Let me say straight up that the blu is now the one to watch. But there are things that will doubtless be argued to death when you all get a copy!

The Masterpiece DVD looks very grainy. The new blu does not. It looks very pristine and clean - perhaps too much so.

People have posted shots that purportedly show EE etc. I must admit, while watching the film I think I only picked up on what might be EE once or twice. If its there, its not egregious.

What we have here is a very nice version of Psycho indeed. Perhaps there are more flaws, but I hadn't seen the film in a while and was pulled in in the best way, so wasn't looking for every little anomaly. There's no contest between this and the Masterpiece DVD to me, and I'll be surprised if most of you don't feel the same way.

But whether this disc is too processed? That's what will be argued in the weeks to come. I look forward very much to what Robert has to say on this. Hope he explains what "bromide drag" is too! :)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bleddyn Williams  

But whether this disc is too processed? That's what will be argued in the weeks to come. I look forward very much to what Robert has to say on this. Hope he explains what "bromide drag" is too! :)

To be clear, I mentioned the term in a discussion, but did not relate it specifically to the frame grabs. Bromide drag is an analogue processing anomaly, seen in both original negative processing as well as dupes, in which high and low contrast areas occasionally show what appears to be a "tail," or an area between the two. It can be mistaken for a form of digital electronic enhancement.

In cinema, the affect is normally seen trailing upwards in a moving image.

A search on line came up with this, which gives an idea of what it looks like:

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
My new steelbook arrived an hour ago.

I haven't unpacked it yet, but the package itself sure is a reason to want this set already.

Now, before I may be able to comment on the PQ, I may have to see it twice at least, because I know that, except in very serious cases, the movie will most probably distract me from concentrating on the technical aspects of the image and very minor flaws.

But I'll let you all know in due time.

Cees

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Originally Posted by Cees Alons

the movie will most probably distract me from concentrating on the technical aspects of the image and very minor flaws.

Same here Cees. Usually in my case I watch and enjoy the film and only when I visit the forum do I discover the 'image' or 'sound' had problems, I'm that blind.. For me Psycho has never looked better than it did on this blu-ray, if others find fault in it and label it a disaster or 'unwatchable' than that's their opinion not mine.

Bleddyn Williams

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bleddyn Williams
Originally Posted by Chas in CT

Are the Masterpiece Collection and the Legacy edition the same?

Not according to Barrie Maxwell over at The Digital Bits...

Psycho (1960) has followed the same path as Vertigo in its DVD history. Almost 10 years ago, there was a Special Edition release from Universal that ported over the previous laserdisc version and featured a 1.85:1 widescreen but non-anamorphic transfer, a mono sound track, and a good suite of supplements including the excellent 95-minute making-of Psycho documentary. The 2005 Hitchcock Masterpiece Collection accorded the film a new release with an anamorphic transfer that provided a much-improved visual presentation along with the same sound and suite of supplements. The new 2-disc Universal Legacy Series release improves but marginally on the visual side of the already good 2005 version - very nicely detailed gray scale, sharp, clean, mild grain. The mono sound is in good shape. The suite of supplements has been upgraded substantially. All the old ones are retained, but added are audio commentary by Stephen Rebello (author of "Alfred Hitchcock and the Making of Psycho"); a good appreciation piece concerning Hitchcock's legacy; excerpts from the Hitchcock/Truffaut interviews; and an episode of Alfred Hitchcock Presents (Lamb to the Slaughter). Again with a caveat about the lack of a Blu-ray release, this Legacy release of Psycho is highly recommended as the version to buy if you don't already have the Masterpiece Collection version.

Bleddyn Williams

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bleddyn Williams
Originally Posted by Robert Harris

Quote:

To be clear, I mentioned the term in a discussion, but did not relate it specifically to the frame grabs. Bromide drag is an analogue processing anomaly, seen in both original negative processing as well as dupes, in which high and low contrast areas occasionally show what appears to be a "tail," or an area between the two. It can be mistaken for a form of digital electronic enhancement.

Thank you, Robert!

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW

Originally Posted by Robert Harris

Quote:

A search on line came up with this, which gives an idea of what it looks like:

Thanks much for the explanation, RAH.

Now I wonder if what I saw in the Black Narcissus Criterion BD was this bromide drag. There were a couple outdoor, daylight shots/scenes at the overlooking cliff w/ the bell posts during the 2nd half of the film that looked like they had some very serious halos like that, but the contrast between the different parts of the image was not this high though.

_Man_

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks