Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne

JoeBond

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Joseph Myers
Originally Posted by Hollywoodaholic

(Probably fits the title better, but I just love that creepy old house, and have visited it on the lot)
I like both personally but decided to pull the trigger since I really like the film and I would rather pay for it know during August then in October where there are more Blu-ray discs I would be interested in compared to August were there aren't as many.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Bought the steelcase Blu-ray of Psycho yesterday, the film looked great, dts mono and dts stereo too. Filled to the brim with extras including an episode of Alfred Hitchcock Presents. And one of my favourite extras, the subtitled commentary, which is how I watched the film last night.

UK DVDs nearly always subtitle their commentaries. With a few exceptions I usually prefer to read the commentary with the movie's soundtrack on. I'm glad UK blu-rays are carrying on this tradition.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
That's an exciting review.

It, admittedly, has been a long time since I've viewed Psycho...but the high audio grades have certainly whetted my appetite. I usually think of it having a soundtrack with an emphasis on the high-ends. To read that they've revisited the original mono track and have breathed some new life into it sounds quite exciting.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
One thing I noticed for the first time and I've watched Psycho many times, are the eyes of the killer when the shower curtain is pulled open, just for a second. Maybe my old DVD was too dark or my tv settings were, but in HD the eyes were looking straight at me [shudder].

One of my favourite movie shots ever is the very last shot of Norman's smiling face merging with mother's corpse before the car is pulled out of the swamp. Absolutely brilliant and not all prints had that shot, according to the commentary.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
It is great to read that Universal got this transfer right. I can wait for the U.S. release, but will definitely be adding it to the collection. More Hitchcock on Blu-Ray!

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by Roger Mathus

Good news. I had pre-ordered the UK in metal box from Amazon UK and they shipped on Monday.

I bought this release today and hope to have early next week from the UK. Also, I have the US version on preorder that I will most likely give away as a Christmas gift.

Crawdaddy

Mr. Pacino

Second Unit
Real Name
Nico
I ordered the U.K. Blu-ray though I prefer the US-Cover but I don´t want to wait until October.....

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
I had the US version on order, but I cancelled it and ordered the steelbook version at Amazon/UK. It's more expensive, but I simply couldn't help it.

Cees

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Cees, I paid £16.99 for Psycho in steelbook from my local HMV, the normal plastic case edition was £19.99. Crazy eh?

I like the U.S. blu-ray cover with the Bates house but the UK steelbook looks cool too (and feels cool. I have a weakness for these steelcases and have double dipped on dvds in the past just to have them in a tin, after the price had dropped of course). [/url]

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Steve,

Yes, the Bates House cover is great (although I have it on photo from our visit to the studio lot in LA), but the steelbook one is nicer than the same one in red. I like those steelbooks too, the RAH restored Godfather Trilogy is another one I have.

At Amazon the price is also £ 16.99, but I just got word they will send it after a few days. So, I'm waiting.

Did you see it already?

(Ha, ha, joking. The eyes, eh?)

Cees

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
I watched it on monday night Cees, very nice indeed. Checked out some of the extras yesterday.

30 years ago I rented the entire film on Super 8, so I did watch it on the big screen sort of, thru my Eumig projector. Remember Eumig? aah memories. To buy a 16min Super 8 excerpt or 'digest' of the movie back then would set you back about £30.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks