What's new

Psycho IV: The Beginnning...Finally coming to DVD! (1 Viewer)

Rhoq

Supporting Actor
According to The Digital Bits, the made-for-Showtime sequel Psycho IV: The Beginning will be released as part of a "Triple Feature"" along with Psycho II and II on August 14th.

Rhoq

Supporting Actor
Fortunately, for me, I never got around picking up II or III on DVD so (for a change) I won't be double-dipping!

Jeff#

Screenwriter
It's good to see something other than TV shows discussed on this board. :)

The original Hitchcock PSYCHO I bought a few years ago, but I haven't gotten around to buying the 3 sequels (although I've seen all of them). "Psycho 4: The Beginning" was written by Joseph Stefano for the Showtime network in 1990, and it was the beginning of a long association with the cable network that peaked with the new version of The Outer Limits.

I enjoyed Psycho 4. It answered the question of how Norman became the nutjob he was (his mom sexually abused him), and that makes total sense. The story ending was simple yet very satistfying and the perfect way to close the saga of Norman Bates. It was the last time that Anthony Perkins played the role, but it wasn't his last film.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Sounds like that would be worth the effort. I've only ever bought on ebay. I remember picking up the Richard Pryor movie set with Car Wash, Bustin Loose, etc. All of those appeared in single form. Maybe Psycho IV will get one to.

Jeff#

Screenwriter
Any chance that Olivia Hussey (Mrs. Bates) or CCH Pounder might have done audio commentaries for Psycho IV or how about Meg Tilly for Psycho II?

Psycho III (which Perkins directed) is definately the worst of the bunch, so a commentary by Diana Scarwid is the last thing anybody would to hear. :D

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
No extras except for trailers (I believe). But the transfers are top notch. :emoji_thumbsup:

I liked III. It has some pretty good moments and often you can laugh at it too. Also it's kind of weird to watch since I believe Perkins learned he had AIDS while he was producing it.

Haden

Supporting Actor
I saw the new Pyscho 2/3/4 Triple Feature DVD at Best Buy today and noticed on the back cover that not only is Psycho 2 and 3 labeled as having anamorphic widescreen transfers, but so is Psycho 4! Can anybody who has already purchased the DVD tell me if the back cover is correct? Psycho IV was presented as a cable TV movie and every time I've seen it it was shown in fullscreen. So does the DVD actually sport a new legitimate widescreen version showing more than we've ever seen on its TV broadcasts, or is it the fullscreen version with letterbox matting to make appear to be widescreen? I'm not sure how we can really verify it since this is the first and only DVD release... unless someone taped one of its past airings on cable and can compare how much is shown on the DVD versus the cable broadcast.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
It's widescreen. Psycho IV was released theatrically overseas so maybe the movie was shot open matte. Then they could show the open matte version on cable and then also be able to matte the frame to 1.78 for the theatrical release. If that's the case, it's a tough call as to what is the correct AR.

I'll try to find my VHS copy (Universal's release and not a copy of Showtime's airing) and compare the two.

EDIT: I found my VHS copy and compared it to the DVD and they've definitely matted the top and bottom of the frame on the DVD. HOWEVER, that's presumably how it was shown in foreign theaters.

I'll watch the movie this weekend (and look for problems with head room or objects being cropped out) but as far as I'm concerned, you'd have to ask Mick Garris or Rodney Charters which is the correct AR. :)

EDIT 2: Mick Garris gives the OK on the widescreen Psycho IV. Check out KeithJP's post here:
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htf/...08&postcount=4

SilverWook

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bill
Too bad they didn't throw in the "Bates Motel" pilot and the Amazing Stories episode, (where a young movie-addict gets trapped inside the original film) as extras. ;)
Believe it or not, there was a music video made for Pyscho III.

Jeff#

Screenwriter
That's actually a good thing, because they were both worse than Psycho III. :thumbsdown:

Don't forget to watch Anthony Perkins on the Season 1 set of Saturday Night Live, when he hosted the show in 1976 and did a fake TV commercial parody of Psycho in the Bates role advertising the hotel! :laugh:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks