Psycho (Hitchcock): Blah...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Holadem, Jun 13, 2002.

1. Holadem

Holadem Lead Actor

I watched this a couple of nights ago, and as the title of this thread suggests, I was less than impressed. The infamous "shower scene" did very little for me. I was expecting some kind of a bloodbath. I would really like to knowwhy it is so goddamn famous. The only reason I can think of is that they don't actually show anything, and yet the scene is quite graphic at the same time. I would have never never noticed it if I hadn't watched the documentary. So for me, this scene mighgt be a wonder of editing, but little else - certainly not scary... Well, at least now I know where that overplayed tune "tsui-tsui-tsui-tsui..." comes from [​IMG]
    The scene on top of the stairs actually worked much better for me
    I have watched 4 Hitchcock movies so far - North by Northwest, Rear Window, The Birds and Psycho. This my least favorite, while Rear Window is by far the best IMHO. Which brings me to the following: While Hitchcock might be known as the master of suspense, much more appealing to me than the suspense or the mystery are the chracters, and the play between them. Within a few minutes I feel as if if had know these characters forever and it is really a shame to see some of them wacked. My favorite scenes in the Birds are the dialogues between the Mitch's ex lover and the lead lady. I like the dialogue and the characters so much that the supposedly creepy stuff becomes a distraction for me... [​IMG].
    I would like to hear your though on this movie [​IMG]
    --
    Holadem

2. Lars Vermundsberget

Lars Vermundsberget Supporting Actor

I prefer to ignore the "well-known fact" that Hitchcock was the master of suspense and that his movies are scary in any way. I simply prefer to see them as great!

3. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

regarding psycho, i think it worked on many levels. it had great characters, a spooky setting, good soundtrack, violence, innovative camera moves, etc.
    anthony perkins did such an outstanding job as norman bates. i mean, talk about a creepy guy.
    on a side note, i think i heard somewhere that perkins has said that he wished he never did that role, because it pidgeon-holed him as an actor. he couldn't get any more roles because people only thought of him as norman bates.
    as far as hitchcock goes, i really can't comment with authority - i've only seen a handful of his movies, but i know i've liked all of them. rear-window is probably my favorite - everytime it comes on i watch it. i've always liked his style, his characters and just the overall feel of his film. they always seem to have a cool "retro" feel.
    at the time, i think what hitchcock did was innovative. when i watch his movies, i always end up thinking, "wow, that's was a cool shot!" or "what a neat concept..."
    i don't know if anyone else at the time was able to present the genre so well. it's still imitated even now. anyone remember the end of "what lies beneath"? that whole chase scene totally reminded me of a hitchcock flick.
    again, i'm no hitchock expert, but i'll give his movies a shot any day! [​IMG]

4. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    I think you have to remember when this film was released. In its day, it was very shocking and graphic.

Today, when every scene is played out visually in all its bloody, special effects glory and suspense is virtually non-existent, modern audiences have been largely de-sensitized to graphic violence and find the original "Psycho" quite tame.

40 years ago, this was considered a "bloodbath."

5. Edwin Pereyra

Edwin Pereyra Producer

6. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

The other thing about the shower scene is that it dispatches what had been, to that point, the protagonist (and its biggest star), something like 20 minutes into the film. At the time, that was really shocking to the audience.

It's important to remember the Hitchcock pretty much invented the slasher genre here - not completely, mind you, but even M had protagonists that lasted from the start of the movie to the end. The shower scene is disturbing because it makes the villain our sole constant for the rest of the movie, which was revolutionary for the time and is still somewhat off-putting even today.

7. Blu

Blu Screenwriter

Psycho was a trendsetting movie. It was very envelope pushing for its time. Hitchcock's movies are pretty much all very good while some are way better than others like North by Northwest, Vertigo, Rope, Dial M for Murder, The Man who Knew Too Much, Notorious, etc.
    I highly recommend any of them to any aspiring filmmaker to see how suspense should be handled.

8. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

9. Tommy G

Tommy G Screenwriter

There's a reason why this movie is known as the scariest movie of all time (with the exception of maybe the Exorcist). That reason is for the exact scene you are referring to. People were so frightened by the "unseen" that they were taking baths instead of showers. Spielberg picked up on this with Jaws. The simple fact that what is not seen is scarier than what is seen. I remember the summer of '75 and '76 and how few people were going into the ocean anymore. That same thing happened in '60 with showers. Hitch was indeed the master of suspense.

10. John Sturge

John Sturge Stunt Coordinator

I personally prefer a similar film about a psycho released around the time of Psycho.
    Peeping Tom.

11. Holadem

Holadem Lead Actor

12. Holadem

Holadem Lead Actor

13. Paul Richardson

Paul Richardson Second Unit

14. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

yeah...good point paul. wasn't there somme scene in the bathroom that was also very hitchcockian?

holadem - i just saw psycho recently on tv...i still got a kick out of it.

as others have mentioned, it is important to remember when this movie was made. it was a mind-bender...no one had ever seen anything like it before. imo, the fact that it still "holds water" (get it...water? shower? hey...is this thing on) today is a testament to what a groundbreaking film this was/is.

15. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

16. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    What is ironic, however, is that Psycho is really a satire on the low-budget American International Pictures films of the 1950's. Hitchcock deliberately made every aspect of the film in accordance to the AIP style and even with a tiny budget. Also, the "star" is killed in the first half of the movie
    which makes fun of the sometimes dominating presence of a lead actor/actress.

17. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

For a modern audience, Psycho isn't about scaring us. It's about being creepy. I think Norman Bates is one of the creepiest characters in all film.

As a young person who saw modern horror and "scary" movies before seeing Hitchcock, Psycho is one that I can come back to every time.

18. Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy Producer

It's kinda hard to get excited about a Psycho 101 discussion, and I certainly don't feel the need to defend it. I simply don't understand how anyone can fail to appreciate such an extraordinarily well-crafted film, a seminal film, a film that has been copied countless times and never topped, one in which every performance is pitch-perfect, every camera angle and movement a jaw-dropping revelation. Haven't a clue as to how anyone can remain unaffected by the brilliance of this movie. But I guess it's the same thing that leads some to proclaim Tim Burton or Luc Besson genuises. I don't think I'll ever get that, despite anyone's arguments in support.
    And dated? Compared to what? "What Lies Beneath" was mentioned, but that movie pales by any standard, much less in comparison to "Psycho". Someone else mentioned the 80's slasher flicks, but surely no-one - not even Holadem - is suggesting that "Friday the 13th" is as good as "Psycho", much less good in and of itself. The first "Halloween" is brilliant, but it's no improvement upon and certainly no "update" on "Psycho". The "Tx Chainsaw Massacre" is similarly brilliant - like "Psycho", a low-budget masterpiece in its own right - but hardly displacing of "Psycho". I can't think of a single slasher flick that betters "Psycho", though there's certainly a handful worthy of being spoken in the same breath.

19. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert

Not as absurd as dissing Hitchcock, a director imitated by several less than talented "Johnny Come Lately's" and a film that defined a whole film genre!

Crawdaddy

20. Holadem

Holadem Lead Actor

Who the hell "dissed" Hitchcock?!! [​IMG]
    This is exactly why voicing one's dislike for a classic is so difficult on this board.
    What exactly must one do to criticise a classic here without getting flamed?! I professed my dissapointment with the movie and and backed it up. Excuse me for thinking that is what we are here for.
    --
    Holadem