PSYCHO - Box Series

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Chris Dugger, Oct 18, 2003.

1. Chris Dugger

Chris Dugger Supporting Actor

Anyone grab this yet?

Box set of the 4 Psycho films?

Wondering what the spec's are....

Dugger

2. Anthony Neilson

Anthony
    Not out until Monday. Think it's just the R1 Psycho and bare-bones for the others. Should have it mid-week and I'll post then.

3. Craig: Mclaren

Craig: Mclaren Second Unit

I'm getting it soon for my dads Xmas. I'll post my thoughts then. [​IMG]

4. Richard Hardbattle

Richard Hardbattle Stunt Coordinator

Just bought it.

Not opened the box yet, but it does say:

First film - non-anamorphic w/s

2-4 all "full frame"....[​IMG]

I suspect part 4 wasn't filmed in w/s as it was for tv...?

Rich

5. Richard Hardbattle

Richard Hardbattle Stunt Coordinator

Right - I've had a chance to look at the discs, and all is not what it seems.

Part 1 is as we thought.

2 is fullscreen - not sure if this is open matted, and has 5.1 DD track.

3 is 1:85 w/s - but not anamorphic, and has 5.1 DD

4 is 2 is fullscreen - and I'm pretty sure this is the right framing, and has 5.1 DD track.

Picture quality on all of the discs is..... OK...ish...

Rich

6. Anthony Neilson

Anthony
    Well, I'm glad to have the (first two)sequels on disc but otherwise this is a shoddy job by Universal.

PSYCHO is the same old non-anamorphic print as ever. I remember being pleased with it several years ago, but now this classic needs urgent attention. It doesn't get it here.
    Nice that R2 finally gets the excellent doc but I had it already. Menu design, as usual for R2 Hitchcock's, is but a shadow of those on the R1 releases.

2, as noted above, is full-screen ; which you may be glad of when you see the PQ of 3. I haven't watched 4 yet.

But the WORST thing - and perhaps a very alarming sign of things to come - is the packaging. No effort has gone into it whatsoever and there's no insert of any kind but that's not the problem . . .

These FOUR discs come in a SINGLE disc case, with two disc hubs on each side so the discs overlap ! In other words, to get PSYCHO 2 out, you have to first remove PSYCHO. A task made no easier by the fact that the disc hub is one of those sharp and painful ones that leave an impression on your thumb but do nothing to help the disc out.
    It's ABSOLUTELY HORRIBLE !!!!!!

This is a new low in cheap packaging. I received mine in the mail and two of the discs were loose. I paid £26 for mine but the RRP is over £30. What a contemptuous way for Universal to treat its customers and this movie series.

If you want the sequels and the doc, go for it. But if you can wait, I'm sure there'll be better editions of this down the R1 line.

7. Gordon McMurphy

Gordon McMurphy Producer

Oh, what a heap of shite! [​IMG] I can't believe Universal. I was really looking forward to getting nice anamorphic 1.85:1 transfers of Psycho II and III. I hate non-OAR with 5.1, it really burns me. Why spend the time remixes the tracks and stems but then not frame the film accurately for the now-almost-standard 16x9 televisions? Baffling.

Richard Franklin recorded a great commentary for his excellent Hitchcockian thriller, Road Games for Anchor Bay USA and in it he talks a bit about Psycho II and I'm sure he'd jump at the chance to record a commentary for his film.

The packing sounds like a plastic nightmare. [​IMG]

What a bummer. [​IMG]

Gordy

8. Chris Dugger

Chris Dugger Supporting Actor

Very disappointing....

I also was looking for anamorphic releases of 2 and 3....

What I find most baffling is that I never seem to be able to find spec on ANY R2 disc's via website before I buy...

No one seems to have the info... I couldn't find 1 site that had these spec listed and therefore I bought and got burned...

Can ANYONE refer me to a site that has relieble spec info on pre-releases?

Dugger

9. Gordon McMurphy

Gordon McMurphy Producer

http://www.r2-dvd.org/

http://www.dvd.reviewer.co.uk/

http://www.dvdbulletin.co.uk/

http://www.dvdlard.co.uk/

All of these are regulary updated with accurate information.

If in doubt post questions here: http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...=17&daysprune= [​IMG]

Man, I saw the Psycho set in HMV today. I'll give them one thing - they are honest with the specs: "NON-ANAMORPHIC WIDESCREEN", "FULLSCREEN", etc. But come on, how much effort would it have took to present these films properly for the fans? Grrr! [​IMG]

Gordy