What's new

Psycho-audio mistake? (1 Viewer)

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
During "Mother"'s angry speech to Norman, while Janet Leigh is trying to hide the money in her room, the audio gets very low when Leigh opens the window to listen. You would think the audio level would get louder when she opens the window. As it is, you can barely make out Mother's words. The French track does not have this problem. Can someone who is familiar with Psycho explain if this is a mastering error? Or is this the way it has always sounded. Thanks!

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
I checked my disc, to see if mine had a "low audio" problem in the place
specified. -- It doesn't. Sounds fine. I can easily make out "Mother's" "Have you got the guts boy?" tirade. (One of my favorite parts of the film. :))

Perhaps there's a problem with your disc at that point. Odd though.

Re. the window -- Actually, the window was already open. Marion didn't open it; if you'll recall, Norman opens it, after declaring "It's stuffy in here". Marion does, though, open it slightly wider when she goes to listen to Mother's comments.

The French track (on my copy at any rate) does sound a tad louder than the English track. However, it's louder overall throughout the movie; not just this scene. The French track sounds pretty "scratchy" too. Not very good. (Glad I don't speak French in this case. :))

Josh Simpson

Supporting Actor
I've also thought the audio was a bit soft in this part of the movie. Here is something that is also from dvdfile...

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
That *is* curious. Because I often DO think audio on some DVDs is "too low" (just in general). But this "Mother" scene sounds perfectly fine on my disc. I can easily hear Mother/Norman.

Perhaps it IS lower than it should be on the DVD; but not to the point of "straining" to pick up the dialogue, IMO.

Randy A Salas

Screenwriter
Is it possible that people having problems have some kind of surround-sound processing engaged that is affecting the DVD's mono sound? Audio anamolies like this often are caused by some odd setting on the surround-sound receiver.

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
Randy .... But wouldn't that result in the WHOLE movie being "too low" or weird-sounding? And not *just* these few seconds in one scene? I'd certainly think it would.

I'd blame it on a Bates Motel poltergeist! :)

JeremySt

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeremy
Too bad this is owned by Universal at this point. Dont hold your breath for a better version to appear anytime soon. Maybe for the 50th anniversary...

Aaron Garman

Second Unit
We're more likely to get another version of Fast and Furious than we are to get a new version of Psycho. Now THAT'S a shame. I mean I'm fairly happy with the current release, but here's some things that would be a nice addition:

-Remastered transfer in 16:9 anamorphic
-Commentary with surviving cast and crew
-optional 5.1 track that uses the original dialouge and effects track, but with the score rerecorded (possibly Danny Elfman's adaptation from the Psycho remake).

Of course, we still want the original mono included! And keep those crayons away!

AJG

Mike Williams

Screenwriter
Blasphemy to suggest re-recording the score for the original Psycho. I'm a fan of Danny Elfman, but no element of the horrible Psycho remake should ever come anywhere near this great film. Besides, Herrman's score is a masterpiece.

Mike*Sch

Stunt Coordinator
Speaking of errors, does anyone know what the proper aspect ratio is for this film? I have heard on more than one occasion that this film was shot in 1.37:1. When comparing the 4:3 LD to the DVD, it appears to be open matte with no cropping on the sides of the frame. The one thing which seems to contradict this claim is that the opening credits of the LD appear to be letterboxed.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks