Psycho album conducted by Hermann...

Discussion in 'Music' started by Josh Simpson, Feb 24, 2006.

1. Josh Simpson

Josh Simpson Supporting Actor

I've read of an out of print album of Psycho conducted by Hermann. This wasn't the soundtrack, but one he rerecorded years later. Does anyone know of it or should I just check ebay? It may just be on LP for all I know, which is fine as well. I have the Elfman condensed score and the McNeely cd, but would like to find this if I could. Thanks.

2. Jim*Tod

Jim*Tod Supporting Actor

Jim
    There was a London records recording ("in Phase Four Stereophonic sound") from the early seventies of music for Hitchcock films that was conducted by Herrmann. I have the lp. This includes a long PSYCHO suite, as well as music from MARNIE, NORTH BY NORTHWEST, VERTIGO, and THE TROUBLE WITH HARRY. Not sure if this is the recording you refer to. I think this is available on cd or was. Something to be aware of .... Herrmann did do several recordings, many for London records, of his scores. Many people have criticized Herrmann's recordings of his own scores because he tended to slow down the tempos. Otherwise, these are wonderful recordings. Beware of the Elmer Bernstein cd of Herrmann's scores with TAXI DRIVER on the cover... important instrumentation is removed from these versions.

3. Peter Apruzzese

Peter Apruzzese Producer

Peter Apruzzese
    Here's a link to the album you're thinking of, he recorded it in 1975 and it was issued on CD in 1989. It's a complete recording of the score.

http://www.uib.no/herrmann/rec/r_psy75.html

The pacing is slower than the original but it is a vital addition for a Herrmann collection.

4. Paul.S

Paul.S Producer

Paul
    Peter et al.:

In addition to your comment about tempi, how does this Herrmann/National Philharmonic Orchestra CD compare with the McNeely/Royal Scottish National Orchestra CD?

Are the interpretations (or liner notes?) compelling enough to make it a better choice than the complete score on the McNeely disc?

5. Harrison Shinn

Harrison Shinn Stunt Coordinator

Harrison Shinn
    Hello:

Just thought I'd chime in about a few other recordings. Although the McNeely disc is great, I personally favour Danny Elfman and Steve Bartek's adaptation of the score for the 1998 remake. I was never able to find the PHASE IV recording.

On the Elfman recording there's a thrilling cue (INTRO/LOGOS) that wasn't part of the original score, but consists of musical fragments of Herrmann's score. The best I can describe it as is that it sounds like the orchestra warming up before diving into the score proper. It's shorter than the McNeely recording but the sound production on this recording is simply incredible. The basses rumble and the overall effect is chilling.

There's also a great re-recording from 1996 which was done by Esa-Pekka Salonen and the LA Philharmonic. It includes Herrmann's music from The Man Who Knew Too Much, Psycho, Marnie, North by Northwest, Vertigo, (rejected score from)Torn Curtain, Fahrenheit 451 and Taxi Driver.

Cheers!
    Harry

6. Paul.S

Paul.S Producer

Paul
    Just spun the McNeely disc recently after buying it for my partner as a gift: daayum where's the fire, Joel? Many of his tempi are way too fast compared to the film/for my tastes.

Ironically, the fidelity of the recording is problematic for me also. Having gone to a screening of Psycho recently, the disc reps a very different aural experience compared to the 'lower' quality, monaural s.q. of the film. I think this clean, stereo presentation might be 'too good' to evoke the same period feel of the film.

Harrison, the L.A. Phil Herrmann disc you mentioned is terrific. Ironically for some given my comments above about "fidelity," I'd also mention that that recording is available on SA-CD. [​IMG]