What's new

psycho: a moral question... (1 Viewer)

Scott Burke

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott B.
Do you think Hitchcock was trying to send a moral message by panning from the shower to the newspaper?

Also, are we supposed to believe there is no redemption once you have done something wrong? (since she was going to return the money the next day)

I had never thought of it before, but it kind of dawned on me.

Any thoughts?

RobR

Second Unit
That's an interesting observation. I never thought of it that way before. I took that to mean that the killer wasn't after the money.

By the way, are they going to reissue it in anamorphic?

TheoGB

Screenwriter
I am interested in this but then I've not seen Psycho since GCSE so I have no real recollection of it. I'll try to remember to resurrect the thread after I've seen it again. :D

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
I believe Rob is mostly correct. I think Hitchcock was also purposefully mis-directing the audience's attention to the money and away from the killer. It creates another layer of tension for the audience: "What's going to happen to the money?".

Howard Williams

Supporting Actor
Hmmmm....

I thought the camera movement to the newspaper was just to make us take note that the Killer is unaware of the money that's in the newspaper.

And (never start a sentence with "and", huh?) if I remember correctly, Norman took the paper and put it in the car with the body before sending it to the bottom of the lake, never knowing about the money inside.

Rob Willey

Screenwriter
Real Name
Rob
I think Howard nailed it.

I don't think Hitch had any moral message to send there. Hitch seemed to go for irony a lot more than morality.

Rob

Tom Rhea

Second Unit
Another vote for the Howard theory. I think the closest Hitchcock came to making a moral statement in Pyscho was in the choice of lingerie colors.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks