What's new

Psycho 4 Disc Collection Region 2 (1 Viewer)

Ryan Belfast

Stunt Coordinator
I dont know if many of you know this. But there is a 4 disc box set of the Psycho films avalible in UK.

Set includes 4 Discs

Disc 1
Psycho
1.0 Mono Sound
1.85:1 Non Anamorphic Widescreen
Makig Of
3 Trailers
Shower Scene Footage
Newsreel Footage
Production Photos
Production Drawings

Disc 2
Psycho II
5.1 Dolby Digital Sound
1.33:1 Full Frame

Disc 3
Psycho III
5.1 Dolby Digital Sound

Disc 4
Psycho IV The Begining
5.1 Dolby Digital Sound

All in all, not a bad collection. A bit expensive though!
It would be nice to see them in Anamorphic.

Andy_MT

Second Unit
you're right. not a bad collection ... a VERY bad collection. full frame on 3/4 titles ? blah! double blah!

Charlie O.

Supporting Actor
In simple terms, open matte is when they film the movie 4X3 and then put black bars on it the make it 16x9 so you're actually losing info in widescreen.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
Open matte is how most 1.85:1 films are made on normal 35mm.

They expose the entire frame, but intend it to be masked in projection.

Yes, less picture is visible, but that's normal. 99.9% of movies lose picture information in order to present the correct framing anyways.

Jon B NY

Stunt Coordinator
Psycho 2-4 are 3 of the worst films EVER MADE! I hate those pieces of f'n ****! After Hitch made this amazing film, Universal had to wait until he died to make some crappy quick "sequal" for some fast cash. The result was this terrible slasher film with NO suspense. Has anyone seen this film? There's so chiaro scuro use of shadows, no good score (synthesizers?!), gratuitus blood and nudity...everything Hitch was against is in here! Argh! As a film student these films bother me so, SO MUCH! Everything about them! I went out of my way to see these 3 sequals because the first is easily one of the most brilliant films of all time. What i saw horrified me. lol. I know it sounds ridiculous bit it's true. These films are BAD! They shouldn't even be packaged with Psycho. Hell, they shouldn't be in a package NEXT to a DVD case containing Psycho. These filsm aren't worth the plastic they are burned onto.

RichardCrowther

Stunt Coordinator
It's also worth noting, just in case anyone was thinking of taking the plunge that, despite what the cover says, I think Psycho 3 is in non-anamorphic widescreen, and not 1.33:1, and that Psycho itself is a simple NTSC conversion port over of the non-anamorphic American disc, leading to the usual conversion artefacts in any shot with movement. This is doubly annoying since the inital R2 release of Psycho was not only anamorphic, but wasn't a conversion, just a nice looking PAL copy. It didn't have any of the extras of the R1 (except the trailer), but if you wanted a 16:9 version, without nasty conversion artefacts, this was the one to get. Now, it would seem, if you want the other movies, and the extras too, you have to buy a crappy-looking copy of one of the best films ever made.

Will they never get this one right? :frowning:

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
Personally, I prefer 1.33:1 open matte to non-anamorphc 1.77-85:1, as either way, you will have to zoom-in on your 16x9 screen and I have found that it zoomed-in 1.33:1 open matte looks better than zoomed-in non-anamorhic 1.77-85:1 transfers.

Really, ALL films transfered to DVD these days should be OAR. If the were intended to be shown at 1.37:1 then transfer them in that ballpark. If they should be 1.66:1 or higher they should be in anamorphic widescreen. If the only available source is an old letterboxed videomaster, then don't use it. Make a NEW high-def transfer from the best print. If all prints are of poor quality, then make a NEW print and then a NEW high-def transfer. Down convert it to DVD and get it on the shelves.

But some companies have bad habits and simply do not learn from their mistakes.

The Psycho sequels have their fans. The first sequels has its moments. It really ought to have an amaorphic transfer and commentary by Richard Franklin who is a huge fan of Hitchcock and his commentary on Road Games is superb.

Scott Temple

Supporting Actor
I think all of the "Psycho" films with Anthony Perkins (yes, all four of them) are great films. Perkins was wonderful in the role of Norman Bates. He excelled those films to a higher level that no one else can ever match.

If you really want to see a piece of shit, go watch Gus Van Sant's 1998 remake of "Psycho" with Vince Vaughn as Norman Bates. Vaughn's portrayl of Norman was like Forrest Gump on steriods. And a masturbating Norman? I think not.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks