Cranston37

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
Now, that is a comment I have never really understood. I mean, I understand he is grateful that landmark helped her find his apartment. I just never understood why he seems to be making a disparaging joke about Coit Tower, as though it otherwise is an eyesore or something
It's a landmark now but back when it was relatively new it was less than popular amongst San Franciscans, some of which thought it just looked like a giant phallic symbol in the middle of their city.

Reactions: Cineman

Cineman

Second Unit
Real Name
David B.
It's a landmark now but back when it was relatively new it was less than popular amongst San Franciscans, some of which thought it just looked like a giant phallic symbol in the middle of their city.
Thanks for that. I assumed something like that was the reason.

AlanP

Supporting Actor
Real Name
BAP
The thing is, he does follow her in a twisty pattern in that sequence leading right up to the moment he realizes she is driving around looking for his apartment, which, as was stated, is at the calmer end of Lombard Street. He even repeatedly registers frustration and exasperation trying to figure out why the heck she is driving this way and that way so aimlessly. Therefore, you might have had that image in your mind and memory after your first viewing as a kid since it does somewhat resemble a ride down the twisty part of Lombard Street. But not nearly as tightly twisty, of course.

When they finally meet up at his apartment, she says it was Coit Tower, which we see in the background, that eventually led her right to him.

Then he says, "That's the first time I have been grateful for Coit Tower."

Now, that is a comment I have never really understood. I mean, I understand he is grateful that landmark helped her find his apartment. I just never understood why he seems to be making a disparaging joke about Coit Tower, as though it otherwise is an eyesore or something he'd like to forget is right there and that it finally came through as something of value. Is there some historical San Francisco lore about Coit Tower that would prompt him to say it quite that way that I am not aware of?

That's an interesting question that I never thought of....

Cranston37

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
Why do we keep talking about Vertigo on the Psycho thread:rolleyes:?
As long as it's good discussion about movies that people are enjoying and getting something out of, why not? Much more on topic and informative than Designing Women videos.

Back to the topic - I'm excited to see if the Psycho digital copy gets upgraded not only to 4K (but it's Universal, unfortunately) but also to the new cut. I never even knew it existed so I'm thrilled to see it. I don't own discs anymore but am tempted to get this disc if my DC doesn't change...

Last edited:
Reactions: Tino

Mark B

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mark
Just my 2 cents on the Coit Tower conversation...

I always interpreted the reference as a foreshadowing to the Batista tower, and Scotty's comment as a reference to his vertigo.

Reactions: AlanP

Cineman

Second Unit
Real Name
David B.
Just my 2 cents on the Coit Tower conversation...

I always interpreted the reference as a foreshadowing to the Batista tower, and Scotty's comment as a reference to his vertigo.
Yes, I agree the tower image in the background is a sly Hitchcock foreshadow of what is to come. Similar to the shots of Marion packing her suitcase in PSYCHO, the bathroom door open in the background with the shower head clearly visible. But Scottie's acrophobia and vertigo being a fairly recent discovery or development for him, it didn't seem likely that he would have had a negative relationship with Coit Tower in his past to justify the disparaging tone in his comment.

And I do apologize for mentioning VERTIGO again in this thread. But if I may offer an excuse in the fact that I do believe a discussion of a Hitchock film, more than those of any other filmmaker, recalls images, methods and techniques that return time and again in so many of his other films.

In this instance, the foreshadowing image of the shower head in the scene of Marion packing her suitcase in PSYCHO resonating with what Hitchcock did with Coit Tower in VERTIGO.

Reactions: AlanP

Ejanss

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
Just steering off-topic again (but not about Vertigo):
I've been a big champion for Film Literacy, and for getting the Kids to sit down and watch "broken" old "pre-1982" classic movies, so I've been hooked on YouTuber "Watching for the FIRST TIME!" reaction videos (although skipping over the girls who just watch Star Wars, Disney, Marvel and "Mean Girls").

One of the more entertaining has been Joe Marcos, who wants to be a movie expert, despite being your standard Millennial horror-fanboy, and has a site where he asks his YT fans to tell him which "classic" to see next and record his first-time reactions to.
And if you've never had an offspring of your own to film-indoctrinate, there's a proud Film-Parent thrill (along with cathartic karma towards movie-illiterate Gen-Z'ers) of watching Marcos's first-ever reaction to Psycho, and falling willing sucker for every single one of Hitchcock's bait-and-switches that grabbed 1960 audiences, with absolutely no prior knowledge.
His first reaction to the Two Mrs. Bates is priceless. :D

Last edited:

Cineman

Second Unit
Real Name
David B.
Just steering off-topic again (but not about Vertigo):
I've been a big champion for Film Literacy, and for getting the Kids to sit down and watch "broken" old "pre-1982" classic movies, so I've been hooked on YouTuber "Watching for the FIRST TIME!" reaction videos (although skipping over the girls who just watch Star Wars, Disney, Marvel and "Mean Girls").

One of the more entertaining has been Joe Marcos, who wants to be a movie expert, despite being your standard Millennial horror-fanboy, and has a site where he asks his YT fans to tell him which "classic" to see next and record his first-time reactions to.
And if you've never had an offspring of your own to film-indoctrinate, there's a proud Film-Parent thrill (along with cathartic karma towards movie-illiterate Gen-Z'ers) of watch Marcos's first-ever reaction to Psycho, and falling willing sucker for every single one of Hitchcock's bait-and-switches that grabbed 1960 audiences, with absolutely no prior knowledge.
His first reaction to the Two Mrs. Bates is priceless. :D

Yes, that is great! Well worth watching all 22 minutes of it.

Reactions: ozianscott

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
els