Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
Reactions: PMF and WilliamMcK

WilliamMcK

Second Unit
Real Name
Biff
Thank you! Based on the details in the post you linked - and using my 2012 Masterpiece Collection BD as a reference - I can verify that my newly arrived discs are NOT corrected. The mono track is the same on both 4ks and both new blu-rays (I even compared the non-restored cuts). Sigh...

• Sad
Reactions: Richard M S and PMF

Neil S. Bulk

Screenwriter
Real Name
Neil S. Bulk
Thank you! Based on the details in the post you linked - and using my 2012 Masterpiece Collection BD as a reference - I can verify that my newly arrived discs are NOT corrected. The mono track is the same on both 4ks and both new blu-rays (I even compared the non-restored cuts). Sigh...
InfantileIdealisticLeonberger-small.gif

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Premium
Real Name
Doug
I received my loose disc floating in a bubble mailer today. It seems to be the "Great Pumpkin" edition. I got a rock. The disc doesn't load on either player.
Looks like this replacement program has turned out to be quite the cluster f***. Mine was shipped Fedex, Direct Signature Required - for what will probably turn out to be an uncorrected loose disc in a bubble mailer that won't play. Thanks Universal.

• Agreed
Reactions: PMF

PMF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
What a mess. In the very instance where Janet Leigh steps into the shower, Universal ends up taking a bath. This disc replacement program has ended up providing us with more suspense than the film, itself.

Short of the carelessness surrounding those loosely fitted mailers, I actually feel for the larger whole of Universal. They’ve supplied us with some of the most superior 4K/UHD offerings within this disparate and life altering year. Irritating, no doubt; but there’s no way that a pre-pandemic Universal would have permitted this specific debacle to now double itself.

Last edited:

Rodney

Premium
Wow, how does someone let this happen twice?

I just spot checked the "corrected disc"and this is what I heard:

• when Marion turns the handle to turn on the water in shower, there is a small squeak sound
  • when Norman turns the handle to turn off the water in shower, there is a small squeak sound
  • Clinks and jangles heard when Lila throws her hand in the air after seeing mother and hitting a hanging light bulb.
So from other posts remarks, it appears this "corrected disc" doesn't have the original mono mix.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
There was probably an initial miscommunication - someone said we need the mono mix, without specifying "original," and someone else made a mono mixdown of the new track. Then for the corrected disc, someone found a file labeled "mono mix" and used that, without confirming that it was the original. There's a good chance that the people doing the work don't know what the original track is supposed to sound like, though it wouldn't be difficult to just pull out the old disc and listen to a minute of it for comparison.

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
There was probably an initial miscommunication - someone said we need the mono mix, without specifying "original," and someone else made a mono mixdown of the new track. Then for the corrected disc, someone found a file labeled "mono mix" and used that, without confirming that it was the original. There's a good chance that the people doing the work don't know what the original track is supposed to sound like, though it wouldn't be difficult to just pull out the old disc and listen to a minute of it for comparison.
Well in order to set up the replacement programme, they (someone) must have heard the two different audio tracks to know that they were not the same. It’s incompetence on a major scale to send out the wrong disc. I expect my U.K. replacement will also be the wrong one - or perhaps not?

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck
Or better yet, where is that audio file? Did they lose it or something?

Also, Turbine was apparently able to conform the correct mono to the "uncut" version as well, so there really should be no problem here.

Obviously, everything is more challenging right now, and we should be kind. But this is still a pretty head-scratching goof.

AnthonyClarke

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
I mentioned in the other thread that I'd be delighted if someone was willing to send out one of these so-called 'corrected' discs which only duplicate the original. We can't buy the 4k disc here in Australia and I'd love to have one. I can use Paypal of course to pay for postage and handling costs.
Cheers from Australia

Rodney

Premium
I missed this when it was posted on The Digital Bits back on the 4th and haven't seen any comments here about it, so for anyone else that hasn't seen this:

Universal Pictures Home Entertainment recently instituted a replacement program for consumers who purchased the September 8, 2020 release of Psycho on Blu-ray and 4K UHD included in the Psycho – 60th Anniversary Edition and The Alfred Hitchcock Classics Collection. The initial run of the film’s Blu-ray and 4K UHD discs produced inadvertently omitted Psycho’s original 1960 mono track. Due to an unintended error, certain consumers received a replacement disc from this original batch of discs, instead of the newly corrected version. We have identified those impacted and will be resending the correct version as soon as possible. To receive an updated Psycho disc, please visit the UPHE Support website (https://www.uphe.com/en/contact-support) or directly email [email protected]. If you have already submitted a request for and/or already received a replacement disc, you will receive the corrected one once it is ready – you do not need to submit another request. We sincerely apologize for this inconvenience.”

I'm a little wary, but I'll wait to see if I do get a replacement disc for the replacement disc they sent me.

Reactions: dpippel

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Xero Tolerance