JoshZ

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Joshua Zyber
MPAA has gotten much tougher on nudity over the years - and less tough on violence, I think.

What PG-13s do you think had as much skin as "Logan's Run"?
In additional to Agutter's disrobing scene, Logan's Run also features a psychedelic slo-mo orgy sequence that, even if not explicit, would probably still throw the MPAA into a tizzy today.

You’re not alone in that - the filmmakers were aiming for PG-13 and were utterly baffled by the lower rating, but it’s not like they were gonna go back and dub in Harry dropping an f-bomb to get back to PG-13. :)
Reminds me of how the 1986 Transformers: The Movie added a couple of swears specifically in order to ensure that it would get a PG rather than a G rating, because the producers feared that a G would be seen as too "babyish" by the target audience of 12-year-old boys.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
In additional to Agutter's disrobing scene, Logan's Run also features a psychedelic slo-mo orgy sequence that, even if not explicit, would probably still throw the MPAA into a tizzy today.
There's big nudity in that scene as well, IIRC.

I think I saw "Logan's Run" for the 1st time in 1999 when my then-girlfriend bought the DVD. I was stunned at all the skin.

Pleasantly stunned! :D

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I’ve seen Logan far more often in bits and pieces on TNT when I was a kid - I have the BD but my memory is really of the edited for TV version, which does not sound nearly as...interesting.

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
I’ve seen Logan far more often in bits and pieces on TNT when I was a kid - I have the BD but my memory is really of the edited for TV version, which does not sound nearly as...interesting.
Logan's Run blu-ray is complete as best as I can remember it from it's premiere week. Including one of the "atmosphere" giving the Vulcan salute as the camera passed them and the end. Farrah Fawcett (Majors) showed far more in Saturn 3 and in her ubiquitous poster than in Logan' Run.

Reactions: Josh Steinberg

DVBRD

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Andy
Agreed. Not recent, but Dreamscape would have fit this category, as would Brainstorm [which got a PG in 1983, but would've got a PG-13 when the rating first came in]. The PG-13 has become utterly meaningless these days, as the early PG-13 movies had plenty of blood and some brief nudity, but current PG-13 titles have no nudity and largely bloodless violence. The recent Enola Holmes on Netflix got a PG-13, as did Bill & Ted Face the Music, but they would've received PG ratings in the 80s, as the violence in the similar Young Sherlock Holmes was far more extreme and got a PG-13 in 1986. I still laugh at the fact that Whale Rider got a PG-13 for a brief drug reference [someone hiding a bag of weed from his impressionable niece]. There's no consistency, and ratings below R are toothless.
There is a Forbes article about how inconsistent the ratings system has become. Truth be told, I think that a lot of recent movies get PG or PG-13 because the studios are manipulating the system.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
There is a Forbes article about how inconsistent the ratings system has become. Truth be told, I think that a lot of recent movies get PG or PG-13 because the studios are manipulating the system.

Loved this article, and not to toot my own horn, but I did a blog post a very long time ago about the ratings system: https://gundarkhunter-thedarkroom.blogspot.com/2010/12/what-is-censorship-and-is-it-good-or.html

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan

I can't imagine anyone manipulating any system ... :D

It's well known that directors will shoot "questionable" material (or additional curse words) as a negotiating ploy with the MPAA having no intention of it being in the final film.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
I can't imagine anyone manipulating any system ... :D

It's well known that directors will shoot "questionable" material (or additional curse words) as a negotiating ploy with the MPAA having no intention of it being in the final film.
This Film is Not Yet Rated is insightful on this, especially on South Park: Bigger, Longer and Uncut.

Reactions: B-ROLL

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Psycho, but the current discussion came from people talking about what Psycho would have been rated if released today.

• Agreed
Reactions: Stephen_J_H

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Can’t wait to see PHYCHO on the big screen.

Alfred Hitchcock
TCM presents the 60th Anniversary
of Psycho in cinemas nationwide.​
subcribe

awesome. A local theater chain here was going to show the birds this month. It’s been cancelled though.

I'm glad I caught back to the future and empire strikes back this summer. Loved seeing both in the theater.

Reactions: AlanP

Richard M S

Supporting Actor
Has anyone ordered the stand-alone Psycho bluray from Amazon recently? If so, did you get the "corrected" disc, or the "incorrect" disc requiring an exchange with Universal?

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NC_Mike