What's new

Psychedelic Furs - Live from the House of Blues DVD (1 Viewer)

John DeLuca

Stunt Coordinator
Gregory,
They are showing this concert on DirecTV for free this month minus a few songs. The free concert is about 45 minutes long whereas the DVD says it's 95 minutes long. I've watched it 3 times and it's an amazing show. The Furs sound great. I am definitely getting this DVD tomorrow and you even have your choice of DD and DTS versions.
Looking at DVDempire, they mention an acoustic set and a documentary which they didn't show. I can't wait.

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
digitallyOBSESSED is running a contest to win this DVD right now, in case you wanted to try your luck.
------------------
Link Removed | Burt Lancaster is Link Removed | dOc

David Judah

Screenwriter
That's cool--I didn't know they got back together. I have great memories of them from the mid-eighties and saw them in concert at the height of their popularity.
I'll definitely purchase the disc, so thanks for the heads up.
DJ

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
The Freeview on DirecTV is fantastic. Great stuff. Lots of old favorites like "India", "Sister Europe", "Only You and Only I". The freeview got me to order the DVD. It will be a nice companion to my LaserDisc of the videos.
------------------
Philip Hamm
AIM: PhilBiker
[Edited last by Philip Hamm on October 16, 2001 at 07:22 AM]

GregoryP

Supporting Actor
Over lunch I went to Best Buy and Circuit City and neither had the DD or DTS version.
frown.gif
I'm going to try Media Play after work and if they don't have it, I guess I'll be ordering it online. It's funny. I didn't even know the DVD existed until last night and now I CAN'T LIVE WITHOUT IT!
biggrin.gif

Gregory
[Edited last by Gregory Pauswinski on October 16, 2001 at 02:18 PM]

ErikU

Auditioning
just watched part of the disk. i got the DTS version. the sound is great, very clear all instruments balanced very well. they are one of my favorite bands this dvd does not dissappoint. even the menu is really nice. buy this disk.
erik

GregoryP

Supporting Actor
Cool Erik. Thanks for the info. I sometimes get scared when songs are mixed to 5.1 because they can get gimmicky. By the way, Welcome to the Forum!!
Gregory
[Edited last by Gregory Pauswinski on October 16, 2001 at 03:21 PM]

GregoryP

Supporting Actor
I ended up ordering the DTS version of the DVD online since no stores were carrying it locally. I have one question - Why are there seperate Dolby Digital and DTS releases when the DTS disc contains both DTS and Dolby Digital 5.1 sound tracks? Does the Dolby Digital version contain anything that the DTS one does not?
I really enjoyed the disc by the way. The music is great and the extras are nice too! :)
Gregory

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
Why are there seperate Dolby Digital and DTS releases when the DTS disc contains both DTS and Dolby Digital 5.1 sound tracks? Does the Dolby Digital version contain anything that the DTS one does not?
Probably space issues. The Dolby Digital version that I have has a PCM stereo track that is 48Khz 24 bit. That quality of PCM stereo bitstream is HUGE. Is that track on the DTS disc also?
Boy am I glad that I didn't know there was a DTS version, I would have ordered it. I'd rather have this high quality PCM stereo track than a DTS track personally!
------------------
Philip Hamm

GregoryP

Supporting Actor
Interesting, I guess the mystery is solved. The DTS disc does not contain a PCM Stereo Track. I'm very happy with the quality of the DTS audio track, but I guess the ultimate comparison would be head-to-head of DTS vs. PCM. :)
Gregory
[Edited last by Gregory Pauswinski on October 24, 2001 at 08:16 AM]

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
I guess the ultimate comparison would be head-to-head of DTS vs. PCM.
Problem is the PCM track is stereo. I have listened to the PCM and DD5.1 tracks a little bit only. I'm hoping to do more listening to this title soon. So many new titles so little time!!!!
frown.gif

------------------
Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
HOLY SHIT!!!!
I just spent some time A/Bing the DD5.1 and 24 bit 48KHz PCM tracks.
First of all, this is the first time I can say that the STEREO track has far too much surround action. My system has very good stereo imaging from the sweet spot, and like with my Peter Gabriel Secret World LaserDisc, the sound literally surrounds me. Unfortunately it does this too much. Much of the audio including Richard Butler's vocals and most of the drums are not anchored in the image, but are filling the room. While I don't particularly like this type of imaging on a stereo concert video I have to admit that it is authentic. This is what the concert sounded like I'm sure.
Anyway, back to the comparison.... The DD is SIGNIFICANTLY louder out of the 5.1 outs on my Technics DVD-A10 DVD player than the PCM track. Like 10dB or more. However, that can not make up for the poor sound quality. The DD5.1 track sounds noticably inferior to the fantastically clear PCM track. Cue up "Only You And I" and listen to the arco 6 string upright bass (or whatever it is). In the 5.1 track it sounds vague. In the PCM track you can hear the subtleties of the bow against the strings. All the tracks feature a similar difference. It is simply astounding.
JOB WELL DONE PIONEER ARTISTS DVD PRODUCTION!!!!!! THANK YOU!!!!
I truly was surprised at how much better the PCM track sounded. Of course, my DVD-A10 is very much optimized for high bitrate PCM like this (this configuration 48/24, though well within the DVD-Video spec, is a common DVD-Audio bitrate / sampling frequency).
I would suggest that anyone who is considering buying this excellent title forego the DTS version for this high bitrate PCM track. Believe me it is worth it. Easily one of the best sounding videos in my collection, and that's saying a LOT since I have a VERY LARGE music video collection including many LaserDiscs (some classical titles).
Thank Pioneer for a job well done here .
------------------
Philip Hamm
[Edited last by Philip Hamm on October 24, 2001 at 09:54 PM]

GregoryP

Supporting Actor
Wow Philip! You've done quite a nice comparison of the DD vs. PCM tracks. I guess I'll have to do some experimentation this weekend and try to compare the DD vs. DTS. Unfortunately Charlotte, NC is a little far from Northern, VA so I can't bring you my DTS copy. :)
Gregory

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks