What's new

Psych Season 3- 7/18/08 (1 Viewer)

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino

Of course, that wasn't really an option here - unless Gus' father died or divorced his mother since last year and she remarried. ;) There are just times you have to recast. (Babylon 5 is another show that usually created a new character rather than recast a part. But there were several cases in which a particular character was absolutely necessary and the original actor wasn't available. Delenn's mentor, Draal, is one example. G'Kar's aide Na'Toth is another. Those characters had specific histories on the show that could not be transferred to others.)

Over all I thought it was a terrific episode. And I loved the little "Charlie Brown Christmas" dance that Gus and Shawn did. (Joined by Jules in the outtake from the closing credits.)

Regards,

Joe

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
No disagreement here. I should have written (with regard to Jules), "more than usual," not "more than Shawn." :emoji_thumbsup:

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
Just a reminder that Gus, Shawn, et. al. return tonight. I started watching the show a few episodes into Season One, but got a chance to catch up a bit during the recent pre-return marathon on USA-HD. I was really amused to see Amber (AKA "Cutthroat Bitch") from House as Lassiter's original partner in the pilot.

Regards,

Joe

Mr. Film

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Keegan
I'm DVRing it. However I never saw any of season 2, so it will probably have less of a effect on me then the rest of you guys.

LCD22

Screenwriter
I was surprised that Steve Franks didn't put in a reference to "Danger Bay", what with Vancouver Aquarium featured (which I loved seeing on my television screen again), and Donnelly Rhodes appearing all the way back in the first season episode "Cloudy... Chance of Murder" as "Judge Horace Leland". In the episode commentary on the official website, he wanted to shoot there since Season 1 but didn't have a story for it.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I do love it when Gus does something just so unbelievably weird that Shawn is dumbstruck, since Shawn's idiocy always leaves Gus speechless. After the sea lion funeral, though, I agree it was lackluster.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Unfortunately, I missed both Monk and Psych this past weekend. But while watching NBA Fastbreak last night, I noticed that both were on again, so I taped them for eventual viewing. :emoji_thumbsup:

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Well, I finally got to see the most recent episode of Psych. I thought it was an okay episode. I didn't like the premise, but once I got by that, I liked more of the usual shenanigans between Shawn and Gus.

The interplay between Shawn and Gus (for April) was priceless. And I thought Lassiter had one of his better (humorous) scripts. And as usual, the references in the show were excellent, with many taxing my memory (in a good way). I love how the show is challenging on that level.

I did like how April could 'read' Jules' feelings for Shawn, even though Jules didn't come out and really say anything pro-Shawn. That was nice.

BTW, am I the only one that thought the guest star (D'Orsay) could have passed for Juliet's sister? I saw quite a resemblance between the two.

I also liked seeing Jamie McShane in this episode. He was in ENT; while watching this episode of Psych, I was trying to place where I had seen him before.

Ed Moroughan

Second Unit
Real Name
Edward R. Moroughan
That was a pretty good ep. I thought the Law & Order line was funny with her reaction. Plus, was the intro retooled again only for this episode? The end with the whole cast walking toward camera was just like the L&O intro. Hmm.

Will_C

Second Unit
Real Name
Will
I usually just fast forward through the intro, so I'll have to go back and check on that. Thanks for pointing it out.

Joe_H

Screenwriter
No, it was way different and had some things that I don't think we've seen yet, so I'd be willing to bet its just the new intro. Also, I hate the song, but the chorus is better than the rest of it... the new intro gave more than just the chorus though.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
I liked the extended version of the opening theme this week. I also thought that the most recent episode was among the very best, most witty, and thoroughly engaging that I have seen of this series. It's also one of the very few times that I guessed correctly regarding the murderer right off the bat. I took a stab at it when the older man in the beginning was treating the female investigator somewhat harshly.

The show still moves at a pace for me that is quick enough that I cannot possibly get all of the nuances and references at first viewing. It's so challenging that way. Then again, it's one of the best reasons for me to pick up the series on DVD. :emoji_thumbsup:

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino

They were coming non-stop this week. In addition to the slew of Major League references there was the headshot of Roday in character as "Chad" from 1999's Coming Soon and Shawn's mention of watching The Mentalist. (I really have to go back to that scene with the roster board and recheck all those names and what Shawn had to say about them.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif
)

I love this show.

Regards,

Joe

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Joe,

Agreed. Such an intelligently-written program.

I loved the fake-Spanish sounding name Shawn was using a few times, and when Gus mentioned Emilio Estevez, Shawn said something like, "You mean Martin Sheen." Priceless.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
And, of course, Shawn mentioning that he and his dad were big Harry Hamlin fans. (Corbin Bernsen and Harry Hamlin co-starred in LA Law).

I love this show.

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
On a different subject, why was Frank Gifford given a credit on the show this week? (01/30/09). I must have missed his appearance.

:confused:

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino

I don't remember seeing him, either. He may have had a cameo that was cut for time - in which case he'd still qualify for residuals, and SAG rules would still require an on-screen credit.

Also gotta give credit to Bob Costas for sending himself up the way he did.

Regards,

Joe

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks