What's new

Psx dying? (1 Viewer)

Chris Bardon

Senior HTF Member
So I decided to pop in Castlevania for playstation the other night, and noticed that the audio had started to skip on it. Found the same thing when I tried Dragon Warrior 7 with some of the video sequences. Also, I noticed that with some games, if I have my playstation hooked up through my computer (ATI TV wonder card) the picture has a LOT of vertical jitter (not so with any of my other consoles though). Just wondering if anyone else has seen similar problems, and if this means that my machine is starting to go on me. It's a 6000 series machine, so not all that old, but it's seen quite a bit of use.

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
Maybe you should start turning it upside down or on its side, or have you been already?

Chris Bardon

Senior HTF Member
Never tried turning it upside down etc-should that work? As for a Ps2-2 problems with that. First, I don't have that kind of money at this point (gaming budget got spent on the Xbox in Dec) and second I have a bunch of Japanese games that I've inherited that would become quite useless on the as yet unchippable (at least reliably) Ps2. But, if these price drops that are being speculated actually happen, the situation may change...

Christopher Chung

Stunt Coordinator
Chris,

I often have the same problem with my original PSX. A good remedy is what Scott recommended; except for the "upside down" part. For me, just putting it on its side does well enough. Just like you, I have a chipped PSX and can't play a lot of the games on my PS2.

Hope it helps.

Chris

Brian Girard

Agent
Sorry to hear about your PSX. When did the 6000 series come out? Thankfully my 1001 model is still going strong to this day. Isn't there an affordable modchip out for the PS1?

Chris Bardon

Senior HTF Member
You mean the new PsOne consoles (the little tiny ones)? I believe that they are moddable, but with a great deal more difficulty than the older ones. I'm sure that there'll be a better solution for the Ps2 soon as well though. There are chips out there, but they're far from perfect, and require more complex soldering than what the PsX ones did. I'll have to check the discs out on another 'station, but the solution might be to see if I can pick up another used deck at EB or somewhere else.

Brian Girard

Agent
Yeah, a coworker looked up the PS2 modchip information yesterday. I know I wouldn't want someone modding my PS2 with 26 pins to be resoldered.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks