What's new

PSP - It's a beautiful thing (1 Viewer)

Ken Chui

Supporting Actor

As Mike stated, Lik Sang do have units in stock, but you do pay a premium for the Japanese units, and chances are Sony will not honour the warranty for units sold overseas (I know this is the case with the defective Square button in some of the earlier units).

It may be too late to get in on a pre-order for the first run on N. American units (at places such as EB and Gamestop), but B&M retailers such as Best Buy, Circuit City, Target and Wal-Mart will be selling them during launch week on a first-come, first-serve basis. You may need to line up a couple hours beforehand, but you'll be saving yourself about $80 if you're one of the early few. ;)

Peter Kim

Screenwriter
Thanks for the info. I wasn't sure whether the entire 1 million allotment packaged with the Spidey 2 UMD all sold out during the presales. Nice to hear they haven't.

Sigh...I thought I was too old to wait in line for the first of the PS2s. Not sure if I can handle another wait, but I'm sure I'll be suckered in by the buzz as it builds.

Ken Chui

Supporting Actor
The N. American PSP Value Pack system box is pictured below:

"Getting old and being old are two different things." ;) Thankfully, the system is launching in late March, so there's always the possibility of early spring weather on launch day. I braved the elements for the PS2 and Gamecube, and I plan to do the same with the upcoming consoles.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
Right Now I use my Pocket PC to play movies converted from DVD's to Divx using PocketDivx Encoder. I was interested in the PSP but since Sony wants to sell movies for it i'm very surprised they would allow DVD Conversions. How exactly does this work I take it its a proprietary MP4 format ? How small can you get a 2 hour movie to ? I get a good looking Divx around 300meg...

Ken Chui

Supporting Actor

I don't think Sony would permit DVD conversions of commercial releases, but there are software tools that will convert various video formats for, uh, homemade movies. ;)

I think Mike_G addressed part of your question(s) in post #57; if not, you can always send him a PM.

Ken Chui

Supporting Actor
Here is a list of contents (game trailers, movie trailers, music samplers) on the N. American UMD demo disc (included with every Value Pack):

Games
  • Ape Escape: On The Loose
    ATV Offroad Fury: Blazin' Trails
    Gretzky NHL
    Hot Shots Golf Fore
    Lumines
    NBA
    Ridge Racer
    Twisted Metal: Head-On
    Untold Legends: Brotherhood Of The Blade
    Wipeout Pure
    World Tour Soccer
Video
  • Are We There Yet?
    Deuce Bigalow: European Gigolo
    Kung Fu Hustle
    Lords Of Dogtown
    Stealth
    The Longest Yard
    XXX: State Of The Union
Music
  • Coheed & Cambria :: "Blood Red Summer"
    Cross Fade :: "Old"
    Kasabian :: "Club Foot"
    Omarion :: "O"
    Petey Pablo :: "Vibrate"
    Silvertide :: "Ain't Comin' Home"
    The Zutons :: "Pressure Point"
    Three Days Grace :: "Home"

David Galindo

Screenwriter
It looks like all presales have been sold...if you want one on launch day, you have to go to WalMart or Target. Shipments look to be short in supply for a YEAR. (according to an EBGames manager).

Cant wait till the 24th! :D

CaptDS9E

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joey
Actually certain gamestops are still taking first shipment orders, as i guess certain areas didnt have a lot of orders so they move them around to the stores that need them

capt

Leo

Second Unit
Actually all the work is taken out of the process with a product called iPSP (for Windows and Mac). You can find more info about the product here: iPSP for Mac and Windows

It allows you to convert multiple movies to the PSP compatible format. I've been using the Mac version since it was release 1.0. Pretty handy.

Ken Chui

Supporting Actor
For those still looking for PSP online pre-orders (first shipment), you may want to check KB Toys; they are selling only bundles though.

Mike_G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mike

You might want to wait before registering iPSP.

A little bird might be releasing something soon (Mac only).

:D

Mike

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
Mike, Have that little bird Email me if he releases anything I own both the Mac Mini and 2 pc's I've used ipsp for both and I registered the PC version just becasue I have two PC's and I can use both to convert to double my fun. Ipsp is a good program but it has quirks. I've had some encodes come out great and others come out with huge audio sync issues. I can't place my finger on why this happens. I've also registered Mobile Media Maker and it does a decent job also, and I've used 3GP. I'm always looking for SW that makes the job easier, Faster and gives better results so keep me in mind.

DeanC

Stunt Coordinator
In Canada I have preordered for March 23rd the Sports Bundle, at $379.00 at EB.

EB is waaaaaaaaaaaay too expensive. At Superstore it will be available with everything that was said that would be included with a Spiderman 2 movie and a demo disc and at only $299.00 b4 GST and taxes.

Sports bundle comes with movie, demo, and the Gretzky Hockey.

I asked about cancelling my order and waiting because of the price now. But I hear it will go fast and will be hard to come by to pick one up. I'd like to see how fast these units get picked up.

Mike Miskulin

Second Unit
It appears that iPSP converts video files to .mp4 with the xvid codec. So, is it possible to use any xvid encoder to make files PSP compatible? Or, for that matter, is it possible to run any mpeg 4 encoded material on the PSP as long as it is "xxxxx.mp4" labeled (using divx or various other mpeg 4 based compression)?

mike.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
It only uses Xvid when you use the Best setting. my Guess is that it does the conversion in Xvid first then goes out to 3GP to put it in the proper PSP format. I think iPSP is just a nice shell that sits on top.

Mike_G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mike
iPSP is a shell. However, looking at it, it's in violation of the ffmepg license agreement whereas two modules that are used to make ffmepg require anything that distributes ffmpeg to itself be released under the GPL.

Hence the reason why I haven't released my app yet.

I'm looking into alternatives. I'll be releasing a "Preview" version of my app ASAP with the video stuff disabled for the moment.

http://ffmpeg.sourceforge.net/legal.php

Sean Moon

Senior HTF Member
I have tried the 3gp converter and PSPvideo9. I put a file in que to convert, and when it is done converting, the new file is not in the destination folder. What am I doing wrong?

Mike_G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mike
http://www.starman.cc/myPSP

Preview release. Let me know what you think.

EDIT: If you downloaded it and it didn't launch, download it again. I neglected to release a "Deployment" build. I tried to get this out too fast too late last night.

Mike

Sean Moon

Senior HTF Member
Mike, is that for Mac only or is it windows as well? I am stuck with windows 98 at the moment.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks