What's new

PSP - It's a beautiful thing (1 Viewer)

David Galindo

Screenwriter

It says in the PSP manual: "Charging the battery will drain it out eventually. Be sure to only charge when empty."

So it will die in a year or so, probably sooner. Eh, I was expecting that anyways.

DeanC

Stunt Coordinator
Well here's an Electronic's Boutique Anticipated Store Release Date of the following

Mercury March 16 05
Untold Legends March 16 05
Ape Escape
Atv Offroad
Bombshell
Coded Arms
Darkstalkers
Death Jr
Fifa Soccer
Gretzky
Metal Gr Acid
Mvp Baseball
NBA
NFS UG RIVALS
NFL ST
RGE RCER
SPIDERMAN 2
TIGER WOODS
THUG 2 REMIX
TWISTED METAL
WIPEOUT PURE
GTA
MIDNITE CLUB

The rest are coming April 16th. all listed at $62.99 Canadian

Ken Chui

Supporting Actor

Does anyone know whether the external battery pack is Li-ION or NiMH-based? The 'charging when empty' recommendation would lead me to believe that it's a NiMH battery (it appears to suffer from memory effect). Even if it is, either battery type should be good for 500-1000 recharges during their respective lifespans, i.e. between 2-5 years of use. Sony should offer a battery with a higher mAh rating, preferably 2200+. After all, the PSP is a high-drain device not unlike a digital camera.

Electro Source/Pelican is planning to release a battery and charger of its own for about $10 less than the official Sony product; might be worth keeping an eye on.

Ken Chui

Supporting Actor
Looks like Hot Shots Golf won't be a launch title; needless to say, I'm extremely disappointed. :frowning: Not sure what launch title(s) I'll opt for in its place (Tiger Woods PGA Tour is not a viable option for me).

Ken Chui

Supporting Actor
Four movies are slated for release on the PSP on April 19 (excluding Spider-Man 2, which is bundled with the Value Pack); they include xXx, Hellboy, Resident Evil 2: Apocalypse and Once Upon A Time In Mexico (some form of interactivity is being planned with the Robert Rodriguez-directed film). The MSRP has not been announced.

Dave E H

Supporting Actor
After buying the Xbox, GBA and GBA SP on launch days, I'm sitting this one out. None of the games appeal to me. Most likely, there will be a shortage and a surplus of these units going on eBay, but the launch games are kind of weak. If GTA was out on launch day, I'd get it. I'd rather not have 1-2 mediocre games foisted on to me with these bundles.

Anyone NOT selling these w/ a bundle?

RANDY FISHER

Second Unit
I put a $20 deposit down on a PSP about a month ago at a local EB. It was before the official launch date was announced. I went in there to ask If I could reserve the (3) games and accessory that went along with the bundle and they told me that they wern't doing that in store. It seems it's a bundle only thru the website. Anyone else confirm this?

Randy

Sean Moon

Senior HTF Member
My EB isnt forcing the bundle, at least not yet. And there are a good ammount of accessories coming day one. I had a customer come in with an import unit, and my god people, the screen on this thing.

Ken Chui

Supporting Actor

The base unit will be available in November 2005 for the Christmas rush; until then, if you want one, the Value Pack is your only option.

No surprise: movies on UMD discs will carry an MSRP of $19.95, i.e. in line with their DVD counterparts.

Doug Miller

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Doug Miller
I'm really thinking about getting one of these. The funny thing is, I never use my PS2 anymore. Being a sports guy, I just play everything on my XBox that's with the big screen. The PS2 has been pushed upstairs to husband-land and doesn't see a lot of use.

I fly a few places a year, so it would be great for travel, but other than that I don't know how much I'd use it. I think I want it because it just looks so damn cool! :emoji_thumbsup:

Doug

Mike_G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mike
The pics don't do it justice. I have yet to find pics official or otherwise that truly show this thing off. I really think that Sony has a winner on their hands with this. I mean, yes it IS a portable gaming system, but it's also a multimedia system with a screen that's just perfect for its size. Why NOT converge the two together? And for $250 for the Value Pack, well, how can you go wrong?

All the tools to convert movies to the PSP format are out there and free.

It uses MP3s.

It shows JPEGs.

So what's not to like about it?

Mike

Ken Chui

Supporting Actor
Nice pics, Mike - I'm jealous. :D They help in reaffirming my decision to pre-order one; I'm going to pay the remaining balance to ensure that I secure one come next month. Did you get any accessories for it?

I read that Sony is working on a number of PDA, office and online applications (including e-mail client and web browser), and supposedly an application for receiving television broadcasts via an internet connection (article link). Like Mike, I wonder if there's anything the PSP isn't capable of?

Doug Miller

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Doug Miller
Mike --

Maybe you can be a little more specific about what it actually does. I mean, I take it that it will store MP3s on a memory stick so you can play music, but how much storage does it have? What else does it do besides look really, really cool (and play video games).

Doug

Mike_G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mike
What DOESN'T it do? :)

How much you can fit depends on the Memory Stick Pro Duo you put in it. I bought a 512 MB stick for $65 from B&H. That's how I was able to fit Star Wars on it. There are 1GB sticks out there but VERY hard to find for roughly $99-$129 (and higher).

It will play MP3s and ATRAC files. Haven't tried WAV yet.

It will play MP4 movies that are encoded in a specific way. You can use ffmpegX (Mac) or 3GP Converter (Windows) to convert them.

It will play JPEGs in the Photo directory. You can organize them with folders.

Now, under the Game menu, you do have the option of running a game off the memory stick because the options are:

Game Sharing
UMD
Memory Stick
Saved Game

So the memory stick is a medium that you're able to run a game from.

You can apparently play games over the internet wirelessly. Gamespot.com lists 5 games having this capability.

THe two games I have - Lumiens and Ridge Racer - have wireless Ad Hoc head-to-head play. I haven't tried it yet since nobody else I know has a PSP.

The top of the unit has a USB mini port like you have on digital cameras. You can connect it to your Mac or PC and mount the memory stick directly that way.

Peter Kim

Screenwriter
Goddamnit Mike.

I was deadset against the PSP. Saw some photos in a gaming mag that sealed its fate for me. Was finally caving into the iPod mania and thought I'd just be done with it and satisfy my gadgetitis for the year by picking up the latest 6gb iPod mini.

Then I saw your real-world photos of the PSP. And my jaw dropped.

Can I still buy this value pack?

Mike_G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mike
Lik-Sang dropped the price on the Value Pack to $329 I think. The unit alone goes for $279.

Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks