What's new

PSP and Wireless Gaming, ? (1 Viewer)

RichardK

Second Unit
What is the difference between Ad Hoc and Infrastructure gaming on the PSP?

My initial understanding was that Ad Hoc is for local gaming using a single WAP. For example Wipeout supports up to 8players in Ad hoc mode. I also understood that Infrastructure mode is play to 'over the internet'. Im not sure which games support infrastructure (i think Ridge Racer), but that means to me you could connect to a player(s) through the 'Net.

I only get my understanding because of how wireless gaming works on the XBOX. To play any of the games over the 'Net you put the WGA in Infrastructure mode. To play someone nearby without a system link cable use a WAP and WGA in Ad Hoc mode.

Can anyone clear this up for me relating to the PSP? I would really like to go buy an Infrastructure supported game, pop it in, search for a game, join, and start competing against folks across the country... if that is possible right now. Thanks.

RichardK

Second Unit
Ok, so it seems you can do infrastructure online play with those games that support it. I will let everyone know how it worked out... Later dudes.

Dylan-M

Auditioning
Is there any other launch games besides Ridge Racers?

I have Gretzky, it says there is an Infrastructure Mode in the game, but does it work ?? I can't figure it out lol.

Jason Merrick

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason Merrick
I can't relate specifically to the PSP, but in general Wi-fi terms, ad-hoc is used to connect directly to another wi-fi device, infrastructure is used to connect to a wireless access point (i.e. Hotspot or a personal wireless router).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks