PSP 2.0 firmware hacked; 1.5 downgrade available

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Ken Chui, Sep 29, 2005.

1. Ken Chui

Ken Chui Supporting Actor

The story was reported on a number of sites (including PSP IGN), but specifics on accomplishing the firmware downgrade to 1.5 weren't provided. Luckily, there is a walk-through (including the necessary file links) on this site (reported and shown yesterday on G4TV).

2. Christ Reynolds

Christ Reynolds Producer

CJ
    i hope version 2.0 gets hacked for homebrew. i want to be able to play gta:lc and gt4 mobile, but i'm not giving up my emulators.

CJ

3. Ken Chui

Seeing as hacks for homebrew use weren't available for firmwares 1.51 or 1.52 (that I'm aware of), I hold even less hope for the 2.0 upgrade. The Hackaday solution may be our only option for the best of both worlds, i.e. web browser use in 2.0, homebrew use in 1.5. It is a more involved process and the risk factor may/may not be heightened with this downgrade mod, but it does give existing 1.5 owners (such as you and me) options. If user feedback regarding this mod is mostly positive, I might take the 2.0 plunge.

4. Ken Chui

It appears that a 2.01 firmware upgrade is in the works (article); folks may want to keep a backup of the 2.0 files (even those still on 1.5) for a rainy day.