psb vs monitor audio

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Wayne Murphy, Jun 12, 2002.

1. Wayne Murphy

Wayne Murphy Stunt Coordinator

I've been given the unthankful task of buying a wedding party gift for my bro-in-law. The cash I've been given plus what my wife and I are adding gives me certain restrictions on what I can buy.
    I've decided on a Yamaha receiver but am having a difficult time with the speakers.
    I can get the new Yamaha speakers which are a vast improvement over the old ones. They are a bit brighter and have more midrange.( Bro likes bright speakers) Includes sub.
    If I do this I won't be breaking the bank.
    I'm going to have to fork over a couple hundred extra if we jump up to the Monitor Audio bronze speakers or PSB's. This would not include a sub.
    I'm already out $1200.00 at this point and I'm wondering if a non audiophile could be happy with the Yamaha speakers.
    [​IMG] This is a pain because I know what I'd do if it were me, but it's not.
    Please help dear friends.

2. Adil M

Adil M Supporting Actor

If he likes Bright, you can get him a Klipsch Synergy package or if you buy from the internet you can get a Klipsch Reference package.

3. Justin Doring

Justin Doring Screenwriter

The PSBs are pretty warm while the Monitor Audio speakers are pretty bright. It depends what he likes, but with a Yamaha receiver, I would favor the PSBs, as the Yamaha is pretty bright. Of course Klipsch speaker are even brighter and qualify as "ear-bleeders" in my opinion. You might also consider the B&W DM303 speakers, as I think they're the best in their price range ($150 each).

4. Michael Lomker

Michael Lomker Stunt Coordinator

If you are considering the PSB Image series then I'd take a look at the B&W first. Perhaps it is just me, but I hate the sound of the Images....I had to go with the Stratus for myself.