psb vs athena

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by MaxL, Jun 29, 2006.

1. MaxL

MaxL Supporting Actor

i picked up a used marantz sr 8000 recently. now i need speakers. i've been looking for too long. i have a set of the csw new ensembles that i really like. so the question is, between athena as-b1.2+c1.2 (under $300) and psb alpha b+c ($300) which to get? thanks.

2. AndrewLevine

AndrewLevine Stunt Coordinator

To be honest, I can't say I ever heard psb speakers, but I own Athenas and am quite happy with them. One of the advantages of the athena as line is that they all have identical 1" teteron tweeters. This means that you can pretty much mix and match almost any of their speakers and the timbre should match enough for them to blend together seemlessly.

The BS1.2 have a pretty good soundstage and are nice budget speakers, however it really depends what exactly you listen to. For music with bass you may find them a bit shallow and in need of a good subwoofer.

just my two cents

-AL

3. marcIs

marcIs Stunt Coordinator

i have owned psb image series i also worked at future shop for years
    the book shelves your looking at have good highs and low. they do lack a little on the mid level cause of this i found them to have a hollow sound the athina that is