PsB Surrounds

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Brian Burnaby, Sep 23, 2002.

1. Brian Burnaby

Brian Burnaby Auditioning

Hello all,

I have a pair of PsB Image 5T's as my main speakers right now, and am ready to buy some surrounds. I need some advice on what size speaker I should get. I plan on later adding the PsB Image 9c as a centre, but for now I can't decide on the surrounds. The options are:

1) PsB Image 2b, I'll have the same size driver as the front speakers, but are they too big for rears?

2) PsB Image 1b, a smaller driver than the front speakers, but will they sound good with music?

I'm plan on using my surrounds for listeneing to music (Prologic), as well watching moives, which makes me think I should get the larger 2b's. But their so big... is it overkill?

Thanks for the advice.

Brian

(if it helps, my wife says she doesn't mind the larger speakers)

2. Chip E

Chip E Screenwriter

3. Steve Winkler

Steve Winkler Stunt Coordinator

A close friend of mine has your exact set-up or what you're looking at buying. He went with the 2b's and it sounds very good. I don't think it's overkill at all, especially if you get into DVD Audio or SACD, these bigger speakers will just sing. I've been pondering buying the same set-up for way too long now. Also thought of going with three pairs of 2b's for fronts, surrounds, center and rear center. I stiil think I like the floor standing speakers better though, maybe four 5t's and two 9c's. Mmmmm, that would be a set-up. Anyway, IMO get the 2b's, you won't regret it.

Cheers,

Steve

4. Andrew Chong

Andrew Chong Supporting Actor

I opted for the 1Bs for my rears due to my unwillingness to spend too much at once (I bought them together with the 8C) and am very happy with them. They look particularly unassumingly classy on the PSB speaker stands by the way. I don't think you can go wrong with the 2Bs, one rung up the Image ladder from the 1Bs.

5. Brian Burnaby

Brian Burnaby Auditioning

Thanks for the replies,

I'm going to give them both a listen this weekend, and if I can hear an improvement with the 2b's, I'll go with them. Otherwise, I'll take the smaller cheaper 1b's.

Thanks,

Brian

6. Adam Horak

Adam Horak Stunt Coordinator

Regarding your question if the 2bs are too big, I dont think your surrounds need to be any smaller than your mains. More movies are putting a large amount sound on the rear channels. I think you need a speaker than can reproduce low frequencies faithfully and have some "impact" just as much as in the mains.