PSB Subwoofer

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by mark campbell, Feb 13, 2006.

1. mark campbell

mark campbell Auditioning

I just found a PSB 6i subwoofer at a local dept store in the home theatre section. It is marked down from $1600 (australian) to $850 because it has a broken front cover peg. I have read a couple of reviews and this sounds like a good deal. Anyone have any comments to make about PSB speakers or subwoofers? This SUB is huge!! it dwarfs every other sub in the shop, I want to go back and listen to it, it is tempting me badly!!
    Please comment....
    Cheers
    Mark from Australia

2. Andrew Chong

Andrew Chong Supporting Actor

Regarding PSB speakers: My ~4-5 year-old setup includes all PSB speakers, the Image line for the surrounds, mains, centre, plus a Subsonic (if I recall the name correctly; been a while since I last looked at the back) for the subwoofer and I'm still happy with them. I'm happy with the imaging and even the cosmetics including design; they've got far greater depth than my previous speakers.

When I last visited their Web site this year, it appears that they've updated them all.

If I were to shop for new speakers, I'd consider PSB again.

3. AlanZ

AlanZ Screenwriter

I've never heard their subwoofers, but I'd own PSB stuff in a heartbeat. Very good quality....amazing sound.

4. Weilin_S

Weilin_S Extra

PSB subsonic 6i is the best among ten subwoofers reviewed by Tom Nousaine in Sept 2004 Sound&Vision subwoofer shout out. With an output of 93.8 db at 20Hz, it beats Outlaw LFM-1(83db), Energy S12.3(86.9db), Velodyne DPS-12(80.4db), RBH MS-10.1(76.8db), Infinity SW-12 (84.5db), JBL S120PII (76.4db), Canton AS50SC(67.3 db), while Phase Tech HV-100 and Earthquake Super Nova MK-IV 10 can not reach 20Hz.

5. James Edward

James Edward Supporting Actor

I started the above thread, which pretty soon got a lot of responses... I'd say go for it- the entire PSB sub line sounds good. They may not go as low as some, or as loud as some others, but they sure sound great.

6. mark campbell

Thanks to all who replied, I am pretty I will get that sub after i check it out again at the shop, thanks especially James that thread sure was interesting reading.
    Cheers
    Mark fro Australia

7. mark campbell

I got that sub!! It's awesome!!! Really cranks, I have it set up not to be too overpowering. You can impress your friends!!Ha ha.
    Cheers!
    Mark

8. James Edward

James Edward Supporting Actor

Good choice Mark. It's an excellent sounding sub. We use them in a lot of our installations, and they always have a natural, non-boomy quality about them.

9. Lee Batchelor

Lee Batchelor Auditioning

Hey Mark!

I own a Paradigm Servo 15 but I did have a Sub-Sonic 6 before the Servo 15 and I must say it is, without a doubt, one of the most musical subs I've ever encountered. I wouldn't hesitate to purchase it if the only thing wrong is a cosmetic blemish. Just my thoughts......Lee

10. mark campbell

Thanks all!, I am now enjoying a very musical awesome sub..amazing!!!
    Cheers
    Mark