PSB Subsonic 7 - any experience?

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Elliot_W, Apr 11, 2003.

1. Elliot_W

Elliot_W Agent

Well….my search is winding down for a sub. After considering many possibilites, I have narrowed it down to
    the Paradigm PW-2200 or the Adire Audio Rava.

I still want to check out the Monitor Audio FB series, and am also considering the sealed (and powerful) PSB
    Subsonic 7. Does anyone have any experiences with the PSB Sub? It seems to be a dark-house: great specs,
    performance, but little following.

Thanks

PS. SVS and Hsu are just too expensive to ship into Canada: The above mentioned, IMHO, offer better value
    in Canada.

Elliot

2. joe rizzuto

joe rizzuto Stunt Coordinator

i have a subsonic 5 in a smaller room (10x12) and it does the job well.
    psb do seem to be a dark horse and much under appreciated as far as subs go.
    but i have no complaints!

3. Sihan Goi

Sihan Goi Second Unit

I haven't heard the Subsonic 7 before but I have the chance to listen to the Subsonic 3i or some other discontinued model. It had a huge driver I think it was 15", but it sounded pretty boomy. I think if you're in Canada Paradigm might be better for subs, but I prefer PSB for their speakers [​IMG]

4. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

Elliot_W,

How large is your room?

Be sure to check for a Mirage BPS-400. Place to look, Kennedy Hi-Fi. You might find one for $950.00 CDN there. I did and love the subwoofer. Actually think I could have gotten away with a PSB Sub 7 or Servo 15 as they are a tiny bit smaller, but this Mirage kicks with ease.

5. Simon Ngan

Simon Ngan Stunt Coordinator

I'm actually an owner of PSB SubSonic 3i and 7. I have the 3i in the family room and 7 is now retired. I replaced the 7 with MartinLogan Descent.

I wasn't thinking of the subwoofer upgrade but I was once invited to my friend's house helping him hooking up his new Servo 15. I was blown away, I've been missing a lot of low ends from the PSB and I didn't know about.

Anyway, if you had the choice between the Servo 15 and Subsonic 7, I'd go for Servo 15.

P.S. I can sell the SubSonic 7 if you're intersted. It's in excellent condition with original packaging and manual. I can sell the 3i too for even cheaper but no box though. I'm in Burlington, Ont.

Simon

6. Elliot_W

Elliot_W Agent

Thanks Chris and Simon....

My room is 20x13, with 13 ft ceilings (it is a loft in downtown TO). I have neighbours....so the BPS-400, as wonderful as it is, would prob. be way too much (and I do not have the room for it - it is huge)! - Same with the Servo-15. Besides, I just picked up the PSB 7 on ebay.ca for $700 CAD (new with warranty from an Ottawa dealer).

I am hoping that its sealed design will lead to good musical accuracy, and will also hit the lows well. Stay tuned....

I like the PSB 7, in theory, because of its size...and also it seems to go low (for a sealed design), yet be accurate. A 12" sealed (like the Rava) would not go down low enough for me.

We'll soon see....

PS...Simon: why replace the 7? It should go lower than the 3i!

7. Simon Ngan

Simon Ngan Stunt Coordinator

Elliot,

Congrulations on the SubSonic 7 purchase, $700 new is a good price. I actually do like the 2 PSBs, after all, I have 2 of them in different rooms. But they don't go as low as the Paradigm which I'm always complaining about. Also, I found them to be boomy to my taste although it could just be the placement or the room.

I was so close to get the Servo 15 but I wanted a good sub that sounds good with music too. I have all ML speakers in the room so I ended up with the Descent. The ML blends nicely with the rest even right out of the box without much tweaking.

Simon

8. Sihan Goi

Sihan Goi Second Unit

The Servo-15's a sweet thing, I have one myself too [​IMG]