PSB Stratus silver i's vs. Rocket 750 sigs

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Kevin_Breeze, Apr 28, 2005.

1. Kevin_Breeze

Kevin_Breeze Second Unit

Narrowed it down to these two and I am leaning heavily towards the Stratus i's which seem to be a proven, no controversy great speaker and just wondering if anyone has any input on the matter.

If you could get both for the same price which would YOU go with?

2. Kevin_Breeze

Kevin_Breeze Second Unit

anyone? Not looking for the it depends on your individual tastes speech, just looking for some opinions on what you guys think between the two

3. Chris Sherman

Chris Sherman Second Unit

I would go for the PSB's. I had achance to buy a pair of used rockets for $650 locally or a Demo pair of Wharfedale Diamond 9.6 w/ full warranty and 30 day money back guarantee for $371pr( 10 percent off all demo gear right now). list is $1100. After reading The Absolute Sound review of the Wharfedales , April/ May issue I went with the Diamond 9.6's. Wharfedale has been making speakers for over thirty years.PSB is an established brand and the Status Gold and Silver are proven winners. The Rockets are beautiful. but I just didn't know much about them. The fragile tweeter of the Onix , worried me a little as well . I have a five year old who's pretty well behaved, but I wouldn't feel comfortable with the grilles off and a speaker like that you want to see the drvers. The Wharfedale is not ugly but I'll probably prefer to keep the grilles on.

4. Ron T

Ron T Stunt Coordinator

The Stratus are a very accurate speaker, the Rockets are warmer and rolled off at the highs.

5. Kevin_Breeze

Kevin_Breeze Second Unit

Thanks for the input guys, I am also eyeing up the Ascend CMT-340's now. I love the look of the PSB's and Rockets but it looks like the Ascends might be the best buy

One of my consideration factors is that the TV I am getting (Mitsu WS-65813) is piano gloss black, so it would look real nice to get the PSB's which come in the same piano gloss black, but at the same time I obviously also have to consider price and overall performance...decisions decisions!

6. Chris Quinn

Chris Quinn Screenwriter

The Rocket 550 is closer to the sound of the PSBs than the 750. Go to audioenvy or AV123 forum and see if there is someone in your area willing to let you listen and decide for yourself.

What is the fragile tweeter issue for Rockets? I've never heard an issue with Vifa tweetrs.

The Ascend 340 and a good sub is comparable to the Silveri in my opinion.