What's new

PSB Stratus or paradigm studio? (1 Viewer)

Doug Fogle

Stunt Coordinator
I feel the beginning of another quest here.I'm running mon.series all around and am thinking about upgrading to either studios or another brand=starting with the fronts and moving the 9's to the sides for now.Can't replace the whole system but since what I buy now will effect what else I eventually get want to make the right choice.The thing is I've stuck with paradigm for a long time-starting with the performance line and moving thru the mon.Before I go studio.I was wondering what other options there are in that price range? I know speakers are subjective,but in my area to hear anything besides BB-CC quality is going to involve some heavy driving,so I'd like to have some specific brands in mind beforehand.PSB sounds interesting,as does Axiom,though I wonder about their use of titanium tweeters=the same type used in the monitor line.Wouldn't going to aluminum be a good idea?I've listened to studio 60's and although nice I didn't feel an overwhelming need to own them.Is there a speaker in the $1000-1500 range that will create that need? I'm using a denon 3801 as a pre with a sherbourn 1500a if that helps.

BrentPollard

Second Unit
There was just a thread covering this exact question less than a week ago, I think if you go 2 or 3 pages deep in this section you will find it. ;)

Chip E

Screenwriter
All i can tell you is when audtioning speakers about two years ago, i listened to the Studio 60's and found them bright&harsh at the top. I've owned Stratus Silveri 's ever since. Also have the Stratus C6i center, Image 10S surround's and an SV sub.... Very happy with the audio end of my rig. Speakers are so subjective. You really should go listen to the Stratus line for yourself.

Ron_L

Second Unit
I was the guy who started the previous thread mentioned....just thought I'd chime in here.

I went with the Studio 60's over the Stratus Bronzes. I liked the sound of the Paradigm's over PSB's. Paradigm's tweeter is pretty bright, but I have it EQ'd down so that's no big deal with the screaming high ends.

Doug Fogle

Stunt Coordinator
I read the other thread,thanks for alerting me.I still have some questions.Maybe it would help clarify if I say what I find lacking about the mon.9's.I find the upper end a little harsh,for lack of a better word.When I listened to the st.60,admittingly not under the best conditions,I thought I could detect the same problem.So much of speaker reviews seem to focus on the bass,how much the speakers "pound".While full range is ideal,since I aleady have a sub I'm happy with,I'm wondering if I can move up to a higher level in my price range by concentrating on tweeter performance and let the sub handle the lowend.I know there are problems with that approach,esp.sacd-dvd-a playback,but right now I'm a blank page on which way to go.If I read the posts right,most were more impressed with the psb tweeter than the paradigm?The nearest dealer I can find is about 40 miles away,but I'll probably go listen.Otherwise,any other suggestions?

glenn.arsenault

Stunt Coordinator
I just completed a comparison of the Paradigm Studio 20 against the PSB Stratus Mini in my quest for speakers for my HT setup. Both of these speakers are nice choices, but neither were the one's for me. I have listened to a large number of speakers already and some I have arranged for demos in my home. (to date, I have listened to Onix Rocket RS250's, Boston Acoustic VR-M60's, Snell k.5 mk II's, & RBH 41-SE's, Paradigm Studio 20's and the PSB Stratus Mini's in my home).

The paradigm's had a decent mid-range and bass, but I found them to be a bit edgy in the high end and a bit fatiguing over time. The PSB's also had a nice midrange and bass, were lacking some high frequency detail and in some cases male vocals sounded thick. Overall, both are good speakers and Paradigm is probably a very good value for the money. However, neither of them "did it" for me.

In my case, the hunt continues.

David Lorenzo

Stunt Coordinator
Doug. You should audition the LSi series from Polk. They might be what you are looking for. The tweeter they use is the Vifa ring radiator just like Onix Rockets and some other high end speakers.

Glenn, what did you dislike about the Rockets. Just curious.

glenn.arsenault

Stunt Coordinator
Dave,
Actually, I didn't dislike the Rockets. However, they would just not couple well in my HT Room which is 23' x 23'. No matter how I moved them around the soundstaging was just wrong. I moved them to other rooms(one room 23 x 12 and the other 12 x 14)and tried them with other systems. Regardless of the electronics used, they performed very well in the other rooms. However, they were eliminated from my HT search beacuse of the room issue and currently I am not in the market for replacement speakers in my 2-channel room (in there I have ProAc response 1SC's and an all tube system).

Ron_L

Second Unit
I didn't have a chance to listen to the Monitor 9's, they weren't at the store. I did listen to the 11's vs the Studio 60's and the 60's blew them away. A little less bass on the 60's but there's more detail there.

The vocals in Deftones' Changes really came to live though on the PSBs. Sounded like he was right there.

Doug Fogle

Stunt Coordinator
Well I went to the nearest PSB dealer but he only carried the image line,no Stratus.Nice,but not better than my monitors and definately not the equal of the studios.David,I had wondered about the polks-I'll have to look for something local that carry them.There's also an ENergy dealer about a half hour away=will call to see if he carries the connoisseur.thanks for the suggestions and I welcome any more.

DanArm

Auditioning
I've got studio 60's, studio center, and studio adp's V.2's running on a marantz and for the life of me can't hear the brightness that I keep Hearing in alot of post's. this may be credited to the marantz amp though, it has a laid back warm sound compared to yamaha's and denons that I've heard.
I would recommend the paradigms, second choice would be the energy's, another great sounding speaker. Just my 2 cents worth.:emoji_thumbsup:

glenn.arsenault

Stunt Coordinator
Doug,
I had difficulty finding a dealer with the stratus line also. I contacted PSB customer support and they gave me the names of 2 dealers who had the Mini's I was interested in. As the dealers were both over 150 miles away, Iarranged to have one dealer ship his demo pair to me for an audition. Inthe end only cost me the 2 way shipping (about $30).

John Dunlap

Stunt Coordinator
In the last year I've upgraded from Energy e:XL 26's to Energy Connoisseur C-9's to Paradigm Monitor 11's and finally settled on Paradigm Studio 60's. Yes folks, I am a dealer's nightmare!!

I really, really like the 60's. At first I thought that they were a little harsh sounding. However; after break-in and after I upgraded my amp from Marantz MM-9000 to Rotel RMB-1075 the Studio 60's sound smooth and clean to these ears. I will admit though I'm more of a movie guy than a music guy.

The Energy C-9's were real nice except for the fact that I found them to be extremely lacking in bass detail. Drums just didn't sound like drums if that makes any sense.

The Monitor 11's I liked a lot bot I thought that the Studio 60's sounded just a bit more refined (and the Studio CC blew away the CC-370 from the Monitor line).

Anyway, just my $.02. And also, check out the Vienna Bach's at your local Tweeter store. Very nice! They cost about $1,500 a pair.

Doug Fogle

Stunt Coordinator
See,thats the problem-no tweeter store.I'm also hearing good things about Nonitor speakers,but the nearest dealer is 2 hr.away.I do agree paradigm is very dependant on the amp however-when I upgraded to the sherbourn it was the first time my mon.9's came to life.Well.off to hear the polks I hope-thats the other thing I'm learning-you can't always trust what youre told on the phone.Sorta like buying a car.Sigh...

glenn.arsenault

Stunt Coordinator
Doug - Not only is the sound quality of speakers equipment dependent, but also room dependent. That is why it is necessary to make your final choice based on an in-home demo.

Doug Fogle

Stunt Coordinator
well'heard the LSi line=very impressed by the highs and imaging.Went to compare the reference 60's and lo and behold there was a row of monitor silvers reduced up front.He said he used to carry them but was closing out on them.He wasn't even listed on Monitor's website.Listened for a short time and was impressed again.They had a fuller trble sound than the studio 60's I thought.The only problem is they are last years models=7+9.instead of 8+10.Anyone have any info on these?Was there any major problems in the 7 or 9 that the next year model corrected?I've heard only good things about the 10,would the 9 be basically the same? It was the owner's day off and the salesman didn't know if I could demo them at home.They also were selling the 7 seperately,but had a full system for the 9's which they said they wouln't break up.That would be more than I had budgeted,.So,I guess my final question for now would be is there a significant difference between the 7+9 outside of bass response?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks