What's new

PSB recommendations and Canadian pricing (1 Viewer)

Ed Haze

Agent
I have read quite a bit about Paradigm prices being outstanding if I were to venture across the border, but I need a little help on PSB. The drive to Montreal for me in Vermont is only 2 1/4 hours and I would like to know what to expect. I am again leaning toward PSB Image 6Ts for mains, 9C for center, and the 1Bs for rear. First off, is this set-up seem alright? I am opting for 1Bs b/c I think the larger 2Bs or dipoles would be too big for my limited room space. I have seen decent prices from etailers for these products, but would they be even cheaper in Canada? If so, what are the going rates? Also, I am not leaving the Paradigms out of contention, but I listened to the Studio 60s today and they did not sound as bright on the high end as I would prefer(still great though). Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Steve Winkler

Stunt Coordinator
Hey Ed. I'll give you the quote I got at one of my local electronics shops here in Calgary. For the 5t, 9c, 2b combination: $1600CAN taxes in. I'm thinkin' that price would be possible for the 6t,9c,1b package you're looking at with some dealing. The above quote was roughly 20% off their "sale price". Go with the 2b if you can, same woofer and tweeter as the 6t and 9c. I think the PSB Image line sounds very nice and price wise the Paradigm Studios are quite a bit more money but also a fantastic speaker.
Good Luck,
Steve

DerekF

Stunt Coordinator
Steve:

I'm looking for that exact setup in Edmonton, and it would be worth the three hour drive to cowtown if I can't find abetter deal...any chance you could tell me which store/salesman that quote was from?

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
1B is fine for the rear surrounds. I bought the 2B's to get the total blend but feel it was un-neccessary. I like it but wouldn't miss it that much if I had 1B's instead.

Ed Haze

Agent
Thanks for the advice. I'm kind of tight on space so that reassures me the 1Bs will suffice for rears. Steve, thanks for the price info, and yes it sounds like its definitely worth the 2 hour drive northward. Also, this sounds like the system for me barring I am overwhelmed by the Stratus series.

KonradN

Stunt Coordinator
Ed,

have you listened to the psb speakers yet? You say that paradigm studio 60 was not as bright on the high end as you would prefer. Do you want a brighter sounding speaker? If so psb might not be your best choice because when I auditioned the image line they sounded more laid back than the paradigms monitor and reference line.

Steve Winkler

Stunt Coordinator
Derek, that quote was from A&B Sound Sunridge Store in NE Calgary. I don't know that the salesmen would want his name thrown out here on the forum or not, so I'm kind of uncomfortable in doing so. Check your local A&B, just depends who you talk to and how badly they want/need to sell something. Like I mentioned before, that quote was roughly 20% off their "regular price", an attainable discount for these speakers. I'm sure I would freak out if I knew their actual cost, A&B is still making a good percentage no doubt.
Ed, the Stratus series are a really nice speaker, quite a step up from the Image line IMO, but I think they are a little power hungry too. What are you going to be driving them with??
Cheers,
Steve

Ed Haze

Agent
For the time being, I am powering my set-up with a older Yamaha receiver but will likely upgrade in the near future. To what, I don't know but am open to suggestions. No, I have yet to hear them but the feeling I got was the PSBs were a tad bit brighter(than the Studios). Either way, both PSBs and Paradigm are options but I think I could get all 5 speakers(Front, Rear, and Center) for a better price with the PSBs. I am replacing my Infinity system which I like, but it is time for a change. I have Reference Sixes for my front, and would love something a bit smaller. Not too much smaller, but smaller. The PSB 6Ts are bit smaller as are the Studio 60s, but I would consider the Studio 40s(a lot smaller, but same footprint as the 60s if you include the stands) or even step up to the Status Bronze if the price was right. Another question I have concerns the Center channel placement. Currently I have my center sitting atop my Sony Wega 27", but both the 9c and the Studio CC are much bigger than my current center channel and I would not know where to place them(this is assuming neither could sit atop the TV). One last point before I curtail my ramblings, how different would the Studio 60s sound powered by a Yamaha receiver rather than the unaffordable-to-me Adcom and McIntosh set-up I heard them on in the listening room? Again, thanks for the advice as I am getting nearer the voyage up North(to Canada, that is).

Al Moodie

Grip
Hi,

This is a copy of post I made 2 - 3 weeks back to a similar

question on the AVS ForumM

PSBs are available in Brick & Mortar (no need to use internet) for 20 / 25% off MSRP without any hard bargaining.

I'm presently ordering Axioms this week but in 3 different West Coast stores I was quoted between 10 and 25% off on PSBs.

Sample of best pricing (Without bargaining):

Image 3LR $375. Pr.

Image 8C $225.

Image 9C $320.

Image 10S $460. Pr.

Image 5T $600. Pr.

Subsonic 5 $350.

Subsonic 6 $500.

Above is US Dollars.

Of course if you going into Canada they would possibly be another 10 / 20% cheaper but you might want to check this

before you invest in driving time etc.

Good Luck and enjoy.

Al Moodie

Ed Haze

Agent
Thanks for the prices Al, but unfortunately we don't have a PSB dealer in the whole state of VT. Canada(Montreal) is only 2 hours away, and the $20 in gas money(not to much the cheaper prices) would more than offset the shipping costs from any etailer. I am auditioning the PSBs next week in Boston, and there is a Paradigm dealer close by as well. Thanks.

Al Moodie

Grip
Ed,
If you're going to Montreal you might want to check out
http://www.axiomaudio.com/
before you leave. You can't audition Axiom in the U.S.
but they have retailers in Montreal; see:
http://www.axiomaudio.com/retail.cfm
Also: Note that their internet prices include FedEx
to anywhere in the States and a 30 day return polocy,
(you pay the return freight).
I got the M22s, Q4s and the VP150 last week.
Don't have them properly positioned yet, still waiting for
a new reciever and sub due next week. In meantime 'am
breaking them in with a ten year old Denon AVC3000 and
'am really happy with the sound (but really looking forward to the sub arriving).
Al.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks