PSB or JBL?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Lance Haile, Sep 23, 2001.

1. Lance Haile

Lance Haile Extra

I just got a pair of JBL N26 to go with my Onkyo 575x. I have auditioned speakers forever, but haven't really compared anything to the JBL. I'm not overly impressed, buy I know my room is problematic.
    I was wondering has anyone compared them to PSB? Specifically Image 1B or Image 2B...I would like to know how they compare.
    thanks
    Lance

2. David Head

David Head Second Unit

I was originally considering JBL speakers after listening to a friend's setup (S38s, S-Center and N24s) with an Onkyo 575x. I thought the speakers sounded great.
    I also listened to PSB Image, B&W 600 series and Paradigm Studio speakers. Each of these speakers sounded better for music than the JBLs IMO and I ended up buying the PSBs (3LRs, 8C and 1Bs). You can read my thoughts here . I would recommend the 2Bs over the N26s based on my experience.
    I highly recommend the PSBs and suggest you go listen to them before settling on the N26s.
    David
    [Edited last by David Head on September 23, 2001 at 07:13 PM]

3. Robert Fellows

Robert Fellows Stunt Coordinator

PSB
    ------------------
    Bob
    p.s.: This advice is worth exactly what you paid for it...

4. Michael Lee

Michael Lee Supporting Actor

5. Lance Haile

Lance Haile Extra

In my auditions, I really like PSB. I got the JBL's from Best BUy, so a good listen was not an option. I based my decision on wanting speakers for my new reciever immediately and things I have read in this forum. So far, I'm pretyy much getting the answer I expected. I would be interested to hear from the JBL supporters out there.
    Also, some good links for online PSB dealers would be nice. The local shops around here aren't too interested in coming off MSRP at all!

6. Randy G

Randy G Second Unit

I can get you PSB at 25% off list from an authorized dealer. Warranty and support included. If interested, drop me a note at [email protected]

7. Henry C

Henry C Stunt Coordinator

I auditioned both at a local dealer and the PSB sounded MUCH better than the JBL. The JBL sounded muddy.
    Henry

8. Mike_Ped

Mike_Ped Second Unit

I love my JBL's...bbuuuutttttt....sound quality is all in the listener so it's hard to say...
    mike
    ------------------
    I will strike down upon thee with great vengence and furious anger, those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers...

9. DonnyD

DonnyD Screenwriter

I too am a JBL lover but the N-series are not really in the same quality group as the PSB's. IMHO The S-series JBL would be the ones I would go with although the N series usually hold there own.
    Understanding that your room may be problematic, I suggest that you talk'em into letting you demo the PSB in your own home in an A-B comparison with the JBL and then decide.
    I personally have the N-26 as rear surrounds and they beat out several high end speakers when I was auditioning.
    My system:
    mains: JBL L100 ( old and strong)
    Center: JBL S center
    Rears: JBL N-26
    front effects: JBL Sat 2
    Rear Center: Norh Prism being auditioned
    Sub: SVS
    Rec: Yam RXV1
    ------------------
    "I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethru gleams that untraveled world whose margin fades forever and forever...."