What's new

PSB Image vs Klipsch Reference Series (1 Viewer)

Jeff Brink

Stunt Coordinator
Making my "true" first HT purchase. The only thing I am sure of is that I will include a SVS 25-31cs sub in the final purchase! Need help choosing other speakers. I have a slight hearing impairment and am not sure about what I am always listening to... if that makes sense! In any case, I have narrowed my choices down to the following:
1. PSB Image; 5T's, 8C and 10S's and (depending on the receiver) 1B's.
2. Klipsch Reference; RF-3II's, RC-3II, RS-3II's and a SC-1 for the rear center channel - again, depending on the receiver.
To me, each speaker has a different sound. Unfortunately, I like the sound of both! I need some expert ears to help me choose. Any feedback is greatly appreciated!:)

Kevin McCurdy

Stunt Coordinator
Sounds familiar, I auditioned the PSB Image series, Klipsch Reference series and several other brands as well about 2 years ago. In the end I purchased the Klipsch RF-3's, RC-3 and RS-3's. Unfortunately the store where I auditioned the PSB's didn't have the most ideal listening area, so I wasn't able to really give them a fair evaluation.

The first time I heard the Klipsch speakers I pretty much knew that was sound that I liked. A lot of people refer to Klipsch speakers as overly bright, maybe? It really depends on what you prefer. I use my speakers almost entirely for home theater.

What I've learned these few years having these speakers is they are very sensitive, they require very little power to drive them and their sound can change with different equipment. If you can, try to listen with similar equipment you either have or plan to buy.

Placement, the RF-3's sound will change by moving them closer or farther from the walls or corners of the room. The manual states 2 feet from the back of the speaker and 3 feet from the side wall for best performance, it's really your preference. That also means that they will sound differently when you get them home, but this is the same for any speaker you buy.

Check with your dealer about their return policies, so in case you don't like them or any other speaker you can take them back.

In the end it's really up to you to decide. Good Luck!

For what it's worth I just recently moved my RF-3's to the back, sold my RC-3 and added new RF-5's and a RC-7 to the front.

Eric A

Second Unit
First of all, I have not heard the Klipsch speaker so I will not speak to those. I can certainly speak to the Image series as I own them. I am running 2B's as front and rears, 9C center and 10S sides. I also have a 25-31CS+ sub. I am powering them with an Onkyo 898. I chose the PSB's because they were the only speaker I could find in my budget that were truly close to neutral to my ear. I had a budget of $1300 for all 7 speakers and I had to stick to it. I came in just over that with shipping. I auditioned NHT, Infinity, Boston, and others. I was looking for 60% HT and 40% music. I also listened to the speakers as a system and these were the best timber matched system I heard in that price range. I felt I could not do any better. I also have come to the conclusion that I did not give up anything on music either. These speakers are very efficient and reach reference volumes easily. They never strain or distort at loud volumes within reason. Two main things to consider; the 9C center is hard to beat in any price range. Also the 10S surrounds are being used in systems that are much higher priced. I think they are one of the best bipole surrounds out. As for the sub, get the plus. Its worth the extra money. I had the 25-31cs and traded up. The sub works wonderfully with any speakers so there will be no problem there. I am biased and would like to see you get the PSBs. If you do look that way give The Sound Seller a call at 800-826-0520. They will give you a great deal and are authorized dealers.

Paul_Fisher

Screenwriter
Eric A,

War Eagle!

Did you see the eagle fly tonite at the opening ceremonies of the Olympics?

PS. sorry for this non-HT post

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks