PSB Image 5T with Image 8C?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Bob Hawley, Dec 8, 2001.

1. Bob Hawley

Bob Hawley Auditioning

I am upgrading my home-theater-in-a-box soon, starting with the left/right fronts and center channel, but I have a space problem that prevents me from using the taller center speakers. In my price range, I like the sound of the PSB Image 5T, but the Image 9C, its natural partner (both have dual 6 1/2" woofers), won't fit. Can I use the smaller 8C (dual 5 1/4" woofers) with the 5T with good results? Are the 5T and the 8C timbre matched? Or, since I'm restricted to the 8C, should I go with the Image 4T (also dual 5 1/4" woofers), if that's a better fit?

2. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

have you listened to these speakers? I would suggest going to the dealer/store and asking them to set up the 5T's with the 8C and compare that with the 4T. I bought the 6T because of the extra efficiency and bass. I could have bought the 8C as a center and would have likely been happy, I think. I notice the close timber match of my 6T and 9C setup, but I would have to listen to the 8C vs the 9C with the front speakers in order to know for sure.

I don't think it would necessarily sound "bad" to have 5T's and an 8C. Go and listen if you can.

3. GuyCrawford

GuyCrawford Auditioning

All of the Image series use the same tweeter, so matching should be pretty good. I use the 5T/9C combination myself and couldn't be happier.