PSB Image 4T or 5T?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by David Brian, Dec 27, 2002.

1. David Brian

David Brian Auditioning

I am currently trying to decide between the following setups for my HT. I chose the PSB Image series because I really like their sound, and am able to get a good deal on them locally. My current A/V receiver is an Onkyo SR600. Will the SR600 be able to handle the bigger 5T/9C/2B setup?

PSB IMAGE 5T fronts, 9C center, 2B surrounds
    or
    PSB IMAGE 4T fronts, 8C center, 1B surrounds

thanks for any help,
    -David

2. Joe Wilmore

Joe Wilmore Stunt Coordinator

I would stay away from the PSB's if I were you. I owned the 4T's the 9C and the 2B's. The center was good, but the rest of the speakers leave much to be desired at that price range. Let me know what you want to spend, and I can make some suggestions that will make you much happier. You also might want to look into the used market for a 5 channel amp, and a pre pro.

3. Kevin_Kr

Kevin_Kr Supporting Actor

David,
    I am on the other edge of the spectrum I owned 4ts and 5ts and very much enjoyed them. I am now going to be selling my parents 4ts, 9c, and 1b's because they are building all in wall at their new house. i would highly recommend them. f you are interested in used setup let me know and I can save you some cash. Good luck

4. Jeff Brink

Jeff Brink Stunt Coordinator

David,

Like Kevin, I also enjoy my PSB speakers (4T's, 8C, 10S's, & 1B's). I have matched them with an SVS 22-31PCi sub. To my ears, it all sounds magical! I have no reservations at all in recommending any of the speakers I use.

-Jeff

5. Jeff.bart

Jeff.bart Stunt Coordinator

For their price, the Image series are terrific, in my view. I listened to them with the Nad t752, and the pair are quite a match. I'd go with the 4T and put the savings into a Hsu or SVS sub. If you want the speakers to handle bass entirely on their own, you should go from the 4t to the 6T. The 5T is the oddball in the speaker line. I've seen the 4T for $400 plus online (Reliable Audio, Ebay) and the 6Ts for $600 plus.

6. Hap C

Hap C Agent

I don't own them, but I have never heard a PSB speaker I did not like, from the top of the line to the bottom. The 4Ts, which Joe did't care for, have been very highly rated by several sources (Stereophile Guide to HT had a very nice review last year). I heard them mated with the NAD HT receiver, whatever the top of the line for NAD is (sorry don't know the model number) and the sound was marvelous, smooth, great clarity, dynamic.

Also, the PSB Stratus series is a truly fine speaker, and they really aren't that expensive. Check them out too.

Hap

7. James Edward

James Edward Supporting Actor

Yes- The receiver would be able to handle the larger drivers. The Image series is not a difficult load for an amp(they have fairly even impedance), and I'd bet the 5T/9C is slightly more sensitive than 4T/8C combination. I drive the 4T combo with an Onkyo 575X, which I believe is predecessor to your receiver.

I agree with the other posters that PSB is a great speaker for the money. I own Stratus Golds for stereo, and the 4T/8C/1B for HT. I don't feel you can do much better for the dollars spent.