PSB Image 10S surround owners? How do you like it?

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Chris PC, Apr 17, 2004.

1. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

PSB Image 10S surrounds? Owners compare vs 2B surrounds?

Right now I have PSB Image speakers. I have 6T front, 9C centre and 2B surrounds. I have a small room. I've always liked the idea of the 10S surrounds but they were, and frankly still are, a little pricy for surrounds. I'm thinking of chaning my 2B surrounds to 10S surrounds in the future as I've seen them for sale used once in a while.

I see the obvious benefits of the 10S vs the 2B as:

#1) More spacious surround sound while retaining decent point source imaging for discrete surround effects. Especially useful in small rooms like mine. Even if I move the 10S will only sound better, but in small rooms, it performs a space creating purpose, or so I'm told.
    #2) Higher efficiency (91 vs 89) should be noticable, and simply cannot hurt, along with the higher power handling. Easy to power, but if I move to a larger room, it'll be that much easier to fill it with surround volume.
    #3) Slimmer than the 2B or even the 1B. Over 4 inches less in depth vs my current 2B's so they'll be easier to keep out of the way.

As I see it, there are potentially two drawbacks.

#1) Different 5 1/4" mid-woofer drivers (as opposed to the 6 1/2" in the 6T, 9C and 2B) may mean they won't blend as well as the 2B's do. On the other hand, with the bipole configuration, the surround effect is going to be more spacious, so blending may be good enough with the identical tweeters. (although, even if the drivers were similar, that bipole effect is going to sound different in the rear no matter which sized drivers are used).

#2) The 10S's have different bass response. On first glance, it looks like they don't go as low as the 2B's, the - 3dB point of the 10S = 65 hz vs 49 hz of the 2B. Thats quite a difference, but then again, the 10S's are sealed and so their response drops on a less steep curve with their -10 dB point at 48 hz vs the 2B's 44 hz. Overall, is their bass response similar or not? If its different, is this noticable or not that critical for a surround speaker?

If you have 10S surrounds, can you comment on how you like yours in the context of my questions? What speakers are you using your 10S's with?

thanx

[​IMG]

2. Dave Simpson

Dave Simpson Second Unit

Hey Chris,

I saw your same post on the competition's board, and the ensuing discussion regarding whether the 10s is sealed or ported. I think the 10s is simply two 1Bs mashed together in a bipolar configuration, and this is born out when one considers the economy of scale model PSB is employing across the Image line (only three different drivers through the line, right?). Otherwise, it just doesn't make sense, to my mind, for PSB to make the 10s a sealed model. And adding "faux" ports would just be plain goofy, y'know? I'm sure PSB's designation on their web-site of the 10s as "acoustic-suspension" is, indeed, a typo (their site doesn't exactly show the greatest attention to detail).
    By the way, I don't have the 10s, but I do have a pair of Axiom's QS8 recently installed, and I like 'em just fine, although I suspect either pair might perform somewhat more impressively in your slightly smaller room. You can listen for yourself when you come over here. Cheers.

DS.

3. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

Cool. I'll check it out. Maybe thats true about the sealed/ports business. See, I don't think the ports are added, I just figured that PSB simply used the same 1B faceplates, which have the port opening, but that the ports aren't actually functional. Perhaps they are after all. Have you seen the new PSB Image line? I'm guessing that there is no longer a 7PT and no more 3LR.

I'd love to check out your surrounds. Let us know (not everyone here on HTF! Just Mancubus and I) when we can drop by your place and we'll make a plan to visit. Its all up to you cause you're work schedule is the tightest. I almost dropped by yer work Friday but I was in a rush. I'll have to drop by some time. You still have the 3LR's and the 8C?

Anybody else have the 10S surrounds in action? I've seen a pair listed for $625.00 CDN or best offer, so thats why I'm curious about these for my small room.

[​IMG]

4. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

Anybody with 10S surrounds have comments?

5. Vishwa Somayaji

Vishwa Somayaji Stunt Coordinator

I have been using 10S as my surround speakers for the last two years. My room is 12x40 in the basement and it is the surround speakers in a 7.1 setup. Fronts are AR-1s and center is AR-2C. Rear speakers are AR-edge. I am very happy with the 10S. It never sounded out of place. I have two rows of seat s and the 10S are in the middle of the two rows. I really love the bipolar configuration for the side surrounds. It was expensive when I bought them(list around $1000) but I may never upgrade them.

6. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

Cool, thanx for the feedback. Have you ever tried other surround sound speakers or compared the sound of the 10S to anything else? Would you say that the 10S speakers are spacious sounding?

7. Alex Prosak

Alex Prosak Supporting Actor

Chris,

I don't have the Image 10s speakers but I do have a speaker with similar design intent with the Rocket 300 surrounds. I really enjoy the spaciousness they add to my theater. If I were more into multi-channel audio, I'd probably stick with a direct firing speaker instead.

Do you have a sub at all? If so, your bass response question drops out as you'll likely cross the speakers over at a point at which you don't have to worry about their bass response. If you don't have a sub...get one before upgrading your surrounds.

8. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

Yeah, I have a subwoofer. It is true that the bass of the surround isn't a big deal. I'm just guessing that the crossover, if too high, will push the response even higher if the speaker doesn't already go low enough on its own. I don't imagine its a big enough deal though. My fronts go to 32hz at -3 dB and my centre goes to 40 hz -3 dB. Changing from 49 to 65 hz -3 dB won't make that much difference. 75, 80 or 90 hz or higher I guess it'd be a big deal, but its probably not an issue at 65 hz.