PSB Alpha Mini. What to pay in Toronto.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Eugene Hsieh, Oct 15, 2001.

1. Eugene Hsieh

Eugene Hsieh Supporting Actor

The GF wants to start home theater. I have suggested a pair of shielded Paradigm Atom or PSB Alpha Mini. If I recall correctly when I (superficially) looked many moons ago the Atom with shielding was around $240 CAD, and the PSB Alpha Mini (already shielded) was around $250. Is that about right nowadays?
    P.S. I want to stay within downtown/midtown Toronto.
    ------------------
    Eugene Hsieh, VisorCentral FAQ Editor
    1000 km on a tank of gas??? Check out the Prius and drive the future now!
    Check out my switched Dual Boot DVD Player Hack .
    [Edited last by Eugene Hsieh on October 15, 2001 at 08:58 PM]

2. Rick P.

Rick P. Stunt Coordinator

$250 for the Alpha Mini is about list price. You can almost certainly negotiate (i.e. demand) at least 10% off. If you shopped around you could do 20% less but given that you're limiting your shopping area 20% might be pushing it.
    Rick
    ------------------

3. Vasanth B

Vasanth B Stunt Coordinator

I know you have said you want to stick to the Toronto area, but I think you should really look into getting the PSBs online. I bought a pair of Alpha 1B "B" stock speakers at www.yawaonline.com for the outstanding price of $195/pair. Shipping is a bit steep within the states at around $30-$50. I can't even find any defects on my 1Bs though they are supposed to have slight cosmetic defects! Their "A" stock is not much more expensive either. Yawa has outstanding service and you can do a search on this forum to find many testimonials to their excellent reputation. They are based out of California, though, so I'm not sure if they ship to Canada.
    I personally found the PSB Image series to sound better than the Alphas, though that was a comparison of the new Image to the old Alpha.
    Either way, PSB makes and outstanding speaker. If you are willing to shop online, I think you will get a lot more PSB speaker per hard-earned dollar.