PSB alpha line...is it worth the money

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Andre Baptiste, Jan 13, 2004.

1. Andre Baptiste

Hi folks i am thinking about buying the alpha b....i never heard it i was wondering is it worth the money???? can somebody who had experience wih them tell me how hey sound please....thanks

2. AlF

AlF Extra

I have Alpha B's up front, clr center, intro's rear and a sub zero. My receiver is Denon 1804, dvd/cd sony dvp-nc600.
    I like it alot. Then again, the Onkyo receiver and JVC speakers I bought 20 years ago with my freshman student loan was starting to get a little weary so anything would sound better.

I listened to everything tweeter, best buy and the local hifi house had to offer(including paradigm which my friend raves about but I found unthrilling and muddy) and then another friend (a true audiophile who seems to upgrade components I never knew existed every 3-4 months) told me to find the psb's and take a listen. I prefer crisper, brighter sounds (I like to hear the fingers hit the string of a guitar) and the alpha's really blew me away. For $50 more, if you have the room, get the B's for the rear instead of the Intros. My room has a shelf that wraps around the whole room and the B's are ported and too big for the shelf, so I got the Intro's instead.
    If you like more bass, you may want something bigger for front LR.
    Of course, let your ears make the decision.

al

3. Joel()Les

Joel()Les Agent

Its not the same line, but I recently tried out the image series (specifically the 4T) and I thought the lower midrange, especailly the voice, was very good, but I found the highs to be lacking in that they seemed flat and not very spatial. Probably would be good for mainly HT use but not mainly for use with music.

My comments do not factor in price, so for the money they still may be very good.

What you like may vary from my taste, so give them a listen before buying.