What's new

PSB 6i ans SVS 20-39+ test (1 Viewer)

PaulCa

Auditioning
Last night my friends got together to do a sound test on a new psb 6i he picked up from a dealer to try and his svs 20-39+ and a svs pb10 that he purchased used that was like new,And a energy 10.2,With the subs placed in the front center and corners we could not seem to get any bass coming from the svs subs sitting in the couch watching movies,Even listening to some jazz we still could not get any real good bass from svs.Hooking up the PSB 6i or the energy with only a 10" driver was like magic,The psb sub was amazing full room exploding bass and you could feel it,The energy only has a 10"woofer and hit hard and fast,I thought svs was a good subwoofer until i tried the others.Maybe svs sounds better on a wooden floor and thats why people think you get better bass,SVS vibrates the floor because of the down firing driver,We think a proper setup sub on a concrete floor and you feel vibrations in the room and feel it hit you,you have found a very good quality sub.Any sub will shake a wooden floor.My firends svs subs all have been used on a second level with wooden floors,That explains why we could not get any bass on the basement floor with svs.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
And you calibrated them to the same level, taking into account the position of each sub? The 20-39+ is not as exciting up top as it is down low. If you want slam, you want a sub that performs better up top, which is usually associated with "boom" (bloom?) and not a nice flat response like the 20-39+ has.

The room is a definite factor. I heard the 20-39+ in a concrete floored room as well, and it definitely has some serious output, but it did need to be turned up from ref level (registering over 100dB from 31Hz to 20Hz) to give you that tactile feeling because the floor transmits almost no vibration at all. We asked SVS about this, and they said the same thing about concrete floored rooms.

PaulCa

Auditioning
Yes all subs were set up proper in the same room,we even just swapped subs leaving all settings the same and you could hear and feel the difference,The svs just has no bass on basement floors. Period!,My friend decided to sell his svs subs to purchase the PSB 6i subwoofer and the little energy 10.3.I cant explain how many subs he has had in his home for testing.One day i came to his home and he had two servo 15's sitting there,If he is selling the svs subs that will tell you something,There is better.

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
Funny, I installed a PB10 in my brother's basement (concrete slab) and it feels like it's capable of taking the house down if cranked. It's certainly capable of very deep loud clean bass, as is well known.

PaulCa

Auditioning
Well the pb10 does have bass on his second level wood floor gives boom boom vibration,He has hooked it up to his ht room down stairs and both svs subs did the same thing, No bass feeling.Its also funny Jerry a friend of his has a new svs sub i dont remember model# but its a + series and he said the same thing.It lacks bass on basement floors.He had a older velodyne 12" sub and thought ordering svs sub he would get something better.It turned out that he sold it private and kept his old velodyne sub,he took a loss on money but he said hes happy to get most back from the svs sub,Figure it out...

PaulCa

Auditioning
Jack Gilvey wrote:
Funny, I installed a PB10 in my brother's basement (concrete slab) and it feels like it's capable of taking the house down if cranked. It's certainly capable of very deep loud clean bass, as is well known.

I have heard all this BS before cracks windows and what have ya...Well than if you think that pb10 svs takes the house down,You have never heard many other subs.and there are cheaper ones that do a good job showing the truth.

Robb Roy

Supporting Actor
Something's gotta' be wrong with his sub. I've got a PB10-ISD in my office theater on concrete, and PB12-Ultra/2, also on concrete. Anyone can PM me for a demo and hear/*FEEL* for themselves. I'm in Chandler, AZ. Also, in my signature block you can see photos of the get together I held at my place featuring both subs, and every single one of us *FELT* the subs. Will your friend allow auditions to verify this lack of tactile response in his basement?

BTW, here's a direct link to the GTG:

http://www.robbroy.net/HT/AZ_GTG_1004.cfm

You can find most of those guys at the forum (and this one) linked at the bottom. Feel free to PM them to see what they thought.

-Robb

SethH

Senior HTF Member
What did you use to calibrate the sub?

There are many tests that have been done of these subs. The best to use are the quasi-anechoic measurements which are taken outside (the earth is more difficult to shake than concrete). These tests show that the SVS's put out plenty of bass.

There are plenty of people here with properly calibrated SVS's in basements that run great and many were tested against other popular subs before the final decision was made.

Tom Vodhanel

Senior HTF Member
>>>Last night my friends got together to do a sound test on a new psb 6i he picked up from a dealer to try and his svs 20-39+ and a svs pb10 that he purchased used that was like new,And a energy 10.2,With the subs placed in the front center and corners we could not seem to get any bass coming from the svs subs sitting in the couch watching movies,Even listening to some jazz we still could not get any real good bass from svs.Hooking up the PSB 6i or the energy with only a 10" driver was like magic,The psb sub was amazing full room exploding bass and you could feel it,The energy only has a 10"woofer and hit hard and fast,I thought svs was a good subwoofer until i tried the others.

Tom Vodhanel

Senior HTF Member
BTW, it is interesting that if you go to audioholics and search on "basshead" you'll find many complaints about SVS expressed in the same fashion...lots of good conspiracy theories there...some by our old friend bob-a..:)

Tom V.
SVS

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Yep, I caught that too Tom....

By the way, you can't "calibrate" and then use those same settings for each sub because the calibration has to be done for EACH SUB....:rolleyes

Robb Roy

Supporting Actor
Tom,

Why is it always a friend with a used sub? Why not a deaf, mute, blind, and anthropophobic cousin with a new one that doesn't like their SVS (and can't stand watching DLP sets because of rainbows) who for all the reasons above can never produce a serial number? It's every bit as believable, and would make for a more interesting tale.

-Robb

AlanZ

Screenwriter
Real Name
AJ
My PB-10 is in the basement too, and it kicks ass....I had a PB12-ISD/2 in a large, open living room and it kicked ass, too. Something smells fishy.

RickRO

Stunt Coordinator
Well I concur

Because those that tend to lie or "stretch" the truth tend to use those fuzzy references such as my friend or on my grandmothers grave yadda yadda yadda........

but I guess that we could all be guilty of having a gang mentality of beating up someone who is attacking SVS?........Nah!

Heck I'm offended and I'm only looking at buying one.:D

Reginald Trent

Screenwriter
"This guy was screaming "TROLL" from the start........."

Looks like he recently registered and just to bash SVS. I guess he thought we would fall for his lies, what does he take us for newbies? It's like going to car forum and saying Ferrari and Lambos are slow.

brentl

Senior HTF Member
"This guy was screaming "TROLL" from the start......... "

I'm happy somebody said it before me. Seems like somebody that like huge 40hz bass and not a sub that goes low.

"Frequency Range
On Axis @ 0° ±3dB 29-150Hz Lf Cutoff -10dB 27Hz
Sound Pressure Level
Maximum @ 100Hz 111 dB"

Hhmm,the 6I isn'tmade to go low,that's for sure.

Brent

Steve_Blazer

Stunt Coordinator
I did the search on Audioholics.

Very enlightening.

This guy is obviously a wanker and needs banning or something.

Every review I've read (Pretty much anywhere) say that SVS subs are damn fine products.

In fact right now I'm trying to decide between an ISD/2 and a PB12 Plus for my sub upgrade.

On a side note I've been invited to an auditioning of some Wilson/Halcro products as a perk for buying some Grado phones from our local high end audio shop.

Like I can afford stuff like that!!!!!

Still cant hurt to go listen ... can it?

:emoji_thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlohaTiger
Recent bookmarks