What's new

PSB 5T or 6T's? (1 Viewer)

george_k

Agent
I'm considering a pair of towers.

Does anybody own any PSB 5T's or 6T's? If so what do you think of them? Their msrp is $1300 but in-store they sell for less. Other speakers I'm considering are the B&W DM-603's which sell for an msrp of $1500.

The PSB website says the 6T's will go as low as 32Hz vs the DM603's posted 44hz.

*edit* forgot to mention this are canadian prices :)

Nhan_H

Second Unit
I bought my 6Ts more than 2 years ago for around $700+, but they were listed for $1000 US. They sound wonderful. However, I don't think they can go as low as 32 Hz without distortion at high volumes (watched Vertical Limit at high volume and they seemed to distort during the avalanche scenes). This was before they were broken in and played without a sub. However, since then I've combined them with a sub. You need a subwoofer if you want serious bass. I've been very happy with their performance for both HT and music for the past 2 years. Wonderful, reliable. Imaging and clarity is great. However, I'll be retiring these beauties for a set of Rockets next year :)

You can find them for very good prices (~$650) on-line these days. Not sure about the mfg warrantee, however. You'll have to check with the PSB site, as well as with the seller.

Jason GT

Second Unit
Where in Canada are you located, George?

I've seen PSB Stratus Bronzes at a Sony Store for around $ 1400.

You will get more for your loonie on PSB rather than B&W since PSB is a Canadian product. If you are willing to spend $ 1500 CDN for the pair, you may wish to try the Stratus Bronzes (but IIRC their amplifcation requirements are rather difficult as they present 4 ohm loads).

george_k

Agent
Jsson, I'm from Montreal.

Comparing the 6T's vs the Bronze on their website I see that the 6T has 1 extra woofer, there are some other specs where the 6T seems listed as better also such as the frequency response. Honestly I don't see what makes the bronze a better speaker except maybe the wood finish?

Jason GT

Second Unit
What should or could make the Stratus Bronze a better loudspeaker?

The way it sounds :)

You get a bit more bass extension with the 6Ts. The number of drivers shouldn't really be a determining factor in which speaker you buy, IMO. What should, once again IMO is the way that the two speakers sound.

If you don't hear a difference between the speakers, by all means take the cheaper speaker (or if they're the same price and you're concerned about bass extension then go for the 6Ts) but I'm willing to bet that hooked up to good electronics, the Bronzes will sound better than the 6Ts.

But that's for you to decide -- happy shopping!

george_k

Agent
Jason GT,

I'm going to go instore to audition the bronze's. My only concern the 4ohm load. My center is 8ohm and my current fronts which will be moved to the rear are also 8ohm.

So would a Front L/R of 4ohm and Center and Rear L/R 8ohm cause a problem? The receiver is a NAD T742 (50wattsx5).

Khoa Tran

Supporting Actor
no worries, nad will power 4ohm load fine, my stratus minis are powered by a nad and it's beautiful

John Robert

Stunt Coordinator
Not sure about the exchange rate but one of this forum's sponsors, dmc-electronics.com has great prices on both blem and new PSB...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks