PSB 4T and Subsonic 5 vs PSB 7PT

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by MarcUR, Dec 10, 2003.

1. MarcUR

MarcUR Extra

Dec 9, 2003
    I'm writing to see what people's opinions are of the the PSB 4T and Subsonic 5 vs PSB 7PT. I can get both of them for approximately the same price. I've heard the 4Ts and liked them, but thought they were a little weak on the bass responce. I could add the Sub 5, but I am concerned about neighbors below complaining as I live in a condo. I have yet to audition the 7PT, as its been difficult to find someone local with it. I believe it has an adjustable bass control on the back, but if someone has a more detailed explanation on how it works I would appreciate it. Oh, my listening room is rather small, but will be expanding in 2 years, so I'm looking at this in more of a longer term than near term decision (ie i could also add a sub to the 7PT when the room warrants it). Any opnions would be appreciated. Oh, I'll be running a NAD 752 in front of it.
  2. James Edward

James Edward Supporting Actor

May 1, 2000
    I'd go with the 7PT's. Three 6.5" drivers instead of two 5.25" gives you significantly more audio firepower. Either one is an excellent speaker for the money, but if you can afford the powered version, I say go for it.

I have listened to them side by side, and the 7's are clearly the winner(and should be, considering the difference in price).

An alternative for you would be the 6T's. The T752 would drive them quite nicely, and when you move you can add a powered sub to complement them. The 6's use the same drivers as the 7PT's, but without the amp for bass.
  3. Jason Charlton

Jason Charlton Ambassador

May 16, 2002
    Jason Charlton
    For what it's worth, I have a pair of the 6T's as my mains and am very pleased with them. Their low-end extension is pretty impressive, and if you're going to be listening at lower, more apartment-friendly levels, living without a dedicated sub for a while won't be much of a sacrifice at all.

As for powered subs, the 6T's blend very well with many subs (I've had a Paradigm Servo-15 for several years and it's a great match). I live in an apartment as well and I like having the ability to simply turn off the sub when I want to be especially considerate of the neighbors. Since I've never really looked closely at powered mains, I'm not sure if they give you that flexibility. I'd hate to have to tweak levels to cut down the bass and still be able to hear everything else for late-night movie sessions.

Just a few thoughts from a non-audiophile-type movie nut who loves his setup! [​IMG]

4. WillieM

WillieM Stunt Coordinator

Jul 26, 2002
    I'm running PSB 5T's (2x 6-1/2" drivers). The 6T's with 3 drivers...obviously nicer for midrange and lows. But for LFE's and good low extension a 6-1/2" driver isn't going to cut the mustard even with it's own amp. If you're ever goning to want to "feel the feel" and get that great home theater experience, you'll need a sub.

Now, i'm currently using a SubSonic 6. It's really nice, and much better than the Sunfire Jr (2x 8" drivers) I started with. But after 2 years I'm wanting to upgrade my sub to at least the Stratus SubSonic 7 with the 15" driver. The SS6 just isn't diving low enough with power, to get the intended rumbles on the latest and greatest DVD's.

My advice is avoid the amplified speakers. Go for the 5T's or 6T's and use the money for a sub (or a sub and a separate amp to drive the fronts). This will give you great equipment to start with, and opportunity to upgrade power and bass when upgraditus strikes.
  5. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

May 12, 2001
    I have 6T's and a Mirage BPS-400 subwoofer. Works well.

Here's the scoop. No matter what PSB image tower you get, the 4T, 5T, 6T or even the 7PT, they will not match the low end extension and volume of a subwoofer. They might come close, but no cigar. Tough call. I like my setup but sometimes feel its overkill. I didn't get the 7PT's because they still won't match a subwoofer and then getting a subwoofer is too costly on top of the 7PT's. Unless you plan to have NO subwoofer, ever, then stay away from the 7PT's for home theatre. If your system is used for both music and home theatre, then the 7PT's may work too.

Of course, now I'm thinking I'd like the 7PT's because I listen to alot of music and I think I'll be listening without my subwoofer. I would love deeper bass extension.