What's new

PS4 Pro Owners Thread (was PS4-NEO) (1 Viewer)

Jeff Cooper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Cooper
From what I understand, the PS PRO does enhance the VR due to it's extra processing power, but I've yet to hear anyone actually talk about a direct comparison between vanilla and pro VR for the same game.

One issue that I've read about is that the PSVR Breakout Box which sits in the chain between your PS4 and the Display, does NOT pass the HDR signal. Meaning that if you want to use HDR, you've got to unplug it and go direct PS4 to Display, and then plug it back in every time you want to use VR. Pretty short sighted of them to have that problem. I've not heard any reports yet of a new breakout box that does pass the HDR.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Correct, the breakout box does not push HDR through.

PS4 Pro does make VR better, but games for VR must hit certain performance qualities to be approved for release, anyway. Specifically, they must hit 100-120 frames per second (I believe) and a minimum resolution. The Pro enhancements are usually small stuff like smoother edges on some objects or a deeper draw distance for large spaced. By and large, the Pro difference is small but noticeable.

EDIT: Sony has not said anything about a new PS VR revision. Considering it just came out like 3 months ago, I doubt they're planning on one for a long time.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Yeah, that HDR thing is what I meant, I knew there was an issue but forgot what it was cause I run mine onto a 1080p Plasma via vanilla PS4

Steve Y

Supporting Actor
Firmware 4.5 dropped this morning. For PS4 Pro owners only, it adds an option in System Settings called "Boost mode," which provides increased frame rate stability and (in some cases) faster load times for games that haven't already received a dedicated Pro patch. (Boost mode will have no effect on games that have already received a patch that takes advantage of the Pro's increased horsepower.) You can read more here.

So far, I've heard that three games reportedly have stuttering or crashing issues with boost mode enabled: Soma, Grow Home, and Tembo the Badass Elephant. All other games show improvements or no changes at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks