What's new

PS4 Pro Owners Thread (was PS4-NEO) (1 Viewer)

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
But if that's your view, then why do you care about UHD vs. bluray, or UHD vs. DVD for that matter. It's the same movie, who cares how clear it looks or how good it sounds?

Because I'm more interested in movies looking like the creators wanted them too than I am in a minor graphical upgrade on games and I don't care to have a specialized piece of hardware for every aspect of a home theater when this fucking thing could of had it if they were upgrading? Is it really that hard for you to understand? It's not an outlandish expectation, they've been selling Playstations as all in one players since the PS2. this "hardcore gamers and NO ONE ELSE" is boneheaded in this day and age. You would THINK they would want their hardcore gaming system to appeal to the maximum possible audience. Like the shitty blockbusters they make now.

All of this tells me that Sony departments are competing, not communicating internally.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
I understand that, but Sony has made it pretty clear since the PS4 was announced years ago that it is a gaming machine, first and foremost.
Yeah, and Sony may have a bridge to sell you.

The PS4 is a multimedia machine that has dedicated apps
(both Sony Music, and Sony Video) to play movies, and music in the streaming variety. PSVideo enables Sony to get a small percentage of movies from any studio people purchase through the service, like WB, Universal, Paramount etc.(smart) and don't even get me started on their music(more monthly vampire bills) app that with no addition of a CD player on the system you will have consumers lined up to get especially if hooked up to their home theater for good sound.
No wonder CD playback on the PS4 was never introduced. Whatever they say about the PS4 in regards to gaming system first and foremost is strictly for the people that like to hear that sort of thing.
I'm sure they make just as much money through video sales, and music subs than they do with games.
the PS4 is more a multimedia system than any game system Sony ever created. There are just so many pay to play streaming services, and features to use. All of which Sony gets their paws on and makes a little something.

My goodness, I remember the day I got the PS4 a few years ago that I was very underwhelmed with the Blu-Ray playback, and told my friend(and I believe I posted it on this very forum) that it is a machine geared mainly toward streaming.

Turns out I was absolutely correct....unfortunately :angry:

Last edited:

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
LOL, no shit, that's because the PS4 absolutely sucks as a blu-ray player. They couldn't even release a media remote control for it. I have both the PS3 and PS4, and I still use the PS3 as my dedicated blu-ray player because it's light years ahead of the PS4 in that department.

Of course more people are going to stream if that's the only viable option.

Thank you

Jari K

Senior HTF Member
I agree that hardcore gamers will be happy with the PS4 Pro, but I don't think "normal consumers" care about UHD discs just yet. Normal consumers don't even have 4K TVs. And honestly, when people find out that their Netflix subscription already includes 4K content, they probably won't bother to consider buying $30+ UHD discs, anyway.

One interesting point is that in stores, 4K models are actually taking over the shelf space. They will try to sell you that 4K model, regardless do you "need it" or not (meaning here, that can you actually watch 4K content etc). So this is how it starts - the "older" 1080p models are being slowly phased out and the plan is to sell the 4K models for all those people wanting a new tv set. This is how it went with HD (roughly) 10 years ago, but then it was pretty clear that HD is here to stay and is readily available (with plenty of content eventually everywhere).

And yes, those "hardcore gamers" - or "real gamers" as some will put it. I hope that they'll understand that those 4K games will not be "native 4K" in anytime soon. There will be some upscaling or some other "tricks" for they to achieve 4K in games. And there's also the 30/60fps question (latter seems to be a matter of life or death to some gamers). Now I don't say that 4K in gaming wil be "bad", "rushed job" or even "mediocre" - hell, maybe it looks stunning. All I'm saying that at least those UHD's have NATIVE 4K material in (most of) them.

So yes, plenty of questions with 4K at the moment and some actually quite complicated. Personally I'll wait at least a few years before buying anything 4K related. It's coming, sure, but it's not "ready" yet.

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
Between any 60fps 4k shooter vs. Super Mario 3 on NES.... Mario wins every time.

My point being that after getting back into gaming with a PS4 after I swore it off when my last Xbox 360 died, I am still seeing the same thing I saw before. Developers are more focused on making a pretty picture than fun core gameplay. So far, Diablo III is the only good game I have played since I bought my PS4 and it's just a port of a PS3 game and since I finished it over a month ago and have been playing the end game adventure mode, it's getting pretty stale.

I'm pretty sure I am done with Sony and Microsoft consoles and will be focusing more on Nintendo. The Wii and Wii U systems were pretty mediocre but some of the games were engaging and fun as hell which is the polar opposite of what I have observed with the PS4 and Xbone. The games are gorgeous but either a total snooze fest or frustratingly bad. I'm picking up an NES Classic this fall and am really interested in the NX.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I'm curious which games you played on PS4 if you think the best on is Diablo 3.

I think Sony is reading the tea leaves and seeing where the wind blows when it comes to the PS4. People buy music online more than they buy CDs. And when they do buy CDs, they rip them to MP3s and stick those on their phones. The PS4 supports MP3 playback from a USB device (well, now it does, even if it didn't at first). There are probably orders of magnitude more people who would rather listen to music that way (or with the Spotify accounts they already have) than pop a CD (nearly 30 year old tech) into their brand new console. I'm starting to think its the same for movies, where people would rather get a cheap digital copy that can be watched anywhere or watch a movie on Netflix/Amazon Prime/etc.. Games aren't quite there yet, with a good chunk of sales still coming from physical media, but I think its because of the economics (discs tend to go down in price much quicker than digital on consoles; PC/Steam is a separate discussion).

I know its inconvenient to have to have two devices to play games and watch UHD movies, and I'm curious what the cost-benefit of including UHD support in the PS4 Pro would have been, but I think its just an example of Sony focusing on the gaming market. The crowd in this forum is far from representative of the market as a whole, and people don't care much about UHD. People who are posting on social media about the PS4 Pro are the ones who are hardcore enough to even know it was announced; the rest of the world doesn't know Nintendo has a new console coming, that Scorpio is a Microsoft product, or that Konami fired Hideo Kojima. Should Sony make moves to appeal to a "broader" market that isn't really that many people, or market something that is obviously for mass consumption (the name "Pro" has been already given meaning by Apple, so a Regular Joe Consumer can immediately understand what it represents)?

I'm genuinely curious how many hardcore gamers are going to skip the Pro because of UHD support. How many skipped the Xbox 360 because it was the one that didn't play blurays? How many skipped the Wii because it only played game discs? How many skipped the PS4 because it didn't play PS1, PS2, or PS3 games? If the value proposition is good enough, missing one or two features won't matter. You still get your $400 worth.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Gotta be honest, I bought an XB1S (moved my original XB1 to the living room) since I use it as a gaming, streaming, and now as a 4K UHD playback machine. I was all set to buy a PS4 Pro because I assumed with the XB1S supporting 4K UHD that the PS4 Pro would obviously do the same.

Sony lost a sale here.

Like Russell, I'm no stranger to owning many pieces of hardware, especially when in the past consoles were totally unable to compete with standalone DVD/BD players. But now with console hardware being as powerful as it is, there really is no reason to exclude that functionality, especially from a company who is such a huge player in the movie and home video industry. And space in my home is at a premium so I no longer care to own a bunch of different devices if one can (and should) be able to play them all.

I guess I should thank Sony for saving me several hundred dollars.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
But do you care about things like having VR on a console this year, The Last Guardian, Uncharted, or Horizon: Zero Dawn?

Basically, are you buying a console for the exclusive games or the multimedia features and then some gaming abilities with that?

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
LOL, no shit, that's because the PS4 absolutely sucks as a blu-ray player. They couldn't even release a media remote control for it. I have both the PS3 and PS4, and I still use the PS3 as my dedicated blu-ray player because it's light years ahead of the PS4 in that department.

I still use the PS3 as my dedicated BD player also because when the drive goes (again), it'll be cheaper to replace. :)

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I would not have expected Destiny 1 to be on that list. They're already behind the times with an old engine that had to support legacy 360 and PS3 consoles which is why we're still gaming at 30fps when most other shooters are 60fps. So unless Bungie were going to completely overhaul the code (and chances were slim to none, since they've said the majority of their programmers are working on Destiny 2) I figured D1 would not benefit from a PS4 Pro. I will say that Sony's decision not to enable UHD playback has made me save money this holiday season.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member

at 10:50 the discussion breaks into how they feel about the console upgrade cycle.

Of course I agree with them, but I think if you don't already own a PS4 and want one, get the Pro. It is more powerful after all.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I'm really surprised they commented how hot the pro runs. Excessive heat is never good. Ask Microsoft and their red ring of death in the original 360 builds. One thing I like about the X1S is how I can leave it on for hours and it barely gets warm.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I'm curious why they would add HDR support to legacy PS4s when they cannot play UHD discs. As far as I know, UHD discs are the only ones that use HDR. I don't think there are any standard BDs that have an HDR layer added to them.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Simple answer: people use their PS4s to play videogames, and videogames support HDR.

The PS4 Pro doesn't play UHD discs, either. It has the same BD drive as the regular and slim PS4s so it can't even read them.

Jeff Cooper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Cooper
Simple answer: people use their PS4s to play videogames, and videogames support HDR.

I've read that the original PS4 doesn't even have the required HDMI port hardware to pass an HDR signal though, so the support is pointless. Is this true? Seems kind of silly for them to add a feature that doesn't actually work, so I'm not sure I believe what I've read.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
The launch model and slim PS4s are capable of outputting HDR, meaning they have the required HDMI standard supported.

Raul Marquez

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Raul H. Marquez, MD

HiYa Sam,

Thinking of taking the PS4 plunge to use VR. I know the PRO model was released not too long ago. Have you (or anyone else reading this thread) know of a tentative release date for the next version? 2017? 2018? Would hate to buy one now if a new one is scheduled soon.

On our last HTF Hollywood meet we used the PS4 with "THE WALK" at Sony, and it was INSANE trying to walk between the twin towers. (I couldn't do it :( ). Any idea if this is available commercially??

Thanks,

Raul

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks