1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

PS4 owners thread

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Sam Posten, Nov 14, 2013.

1. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

Whenever I need to get the SN or PN from one of my electronics that's embedded in my home theater setup, I've found the easiest way is to set my phone to selfie mode and stick it back there to take a picture.

2. Steve Y

Steve Y Supporting Actor

One's mileage may vary; I've heard reports of coil whine and loud fans across all models. Having listened to a number of YouTube videos of loud PS4s (because apparently this is a hobby of mine), it seems that a lot of people have different thresholds for what constitutes "unacceptable console noise." I'm not as bothered by coil whine because it actually negates my low-frequency tinnitus, but that said, I haven't really heard anything unusual from my 71(15b) console so far, partly because the PSVR processing unit is so dang loud.

3. Message #443 of 492 Mar 6, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2018
    CraigF

CraigF Producer

Craig
    Due to the way my PS4 is installed (in an open cabinet, back against a wall), I can't get back there without a lot of fuss. Oh yeah, installing the Pro/PSVR setup was a total anal experience for me. Everything had to be just so, the PSVR PU has sheathing over its jumble of cables, and it's also "installed" where it's mostly hidden, but has airflow etc., and gives me an extra ~4' of headset cable length. What I'm getting at is I have to take the whole setup apart just so I can move the PS4 enough to disconnect the cables in back, then pull the unit out to get at the back. The downside of not just throwing the stuff where handy...the thing is, I don't have the space in the HT room to be "sloppy", I need to put things in places "thoughtfully". Plus that I don't actually know if the model number is back there, it might not be...but it was on the outside carton. The next time I use the Pro I'll see if it's electronically available, you'd think it would be, but I know it now anyway.

When I first got the Pro, I made sure the S/N on the machine matched that on the receipt; you never know, have read a lot of stories lately about gear in a box not matching what the outside of the box says it should be. The PSVR seems unusually problematic re this, it seems quite a few people bought a v2 PSVR bundle, then returned it with v1 PSVR electronics in the box, it's not like the person accepting the return would probably notice if it was done carefully. [Best Buy in Canada does not accept opened PSVR returns. But not for this reason. I got mine from amazon, who do accept returns...]

4. Message #444 of 492 Mar 6, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2018
    CraigF

CraigF Producer

Craig
    A slight bit of coil whine when the disc head (BD drive) is seeking is the only noise my otherwise dead-silent quietest PS3 makes. This is a trivial noise that I rarely hear and can't hear at all when playing a game, admit I don't like it (largely from a "purist" POV), but it sure doesn't bother me. It is a bit of a grating sound though, I could see it being an issue if you're sitting close to a machine that has it, and playing one of those games that does a lot of disc operations. It would be really annoying, I can imagine, if it was an HDD that had the coil whine...maybe that's what it is in the PS4s that people complain about?

From the little "research" I did last night, the 7015 model is said to be the quietest one, by people who sell them (they've allegedly heard lots, but who knows). Mine is extremely quiet, I know I keep saying that, but it really is. I hate noisy gear and will be the "first" to complain. And fans, cheap fans. I use "expensive" fans in my own builds, they last for years and are very quiet. Manufacturers of mass-market gear use fans that will last long enough to get past the warranty period, that seems to be their prime criteria. Sony is a prime offender when it comes to fans.

The v2 PSVR PU is essentially silent. People who have had both said the difference is incredible. [v1 and v2 headsets and PUs are not interchangeable.] I had an email exchange with somebody a while ago who was upgrading their v1 PU fan...don't know how it turned out. If *I* had such a noisy PU, I think I'd remove the case, disconnect the fan, and leave the casing off, let natural convection do its work. There's a lot of metal/heat-sinking in the PU, so that shouldn't be a problem.

Steve Y likes this.
  5. LeoA

LeoA Cinematographer

Leo
    Sony has one of their flash sales underway right now. Looks like some good deals.

I bought Another World (PS4/3/Vita), the PS1 version of Tomb Raider, and Ultimate Ghosts 'n' Goblins (PSP).

Time to start thinking about upgrading my Playstation TV from a 8 gb to a 16 gig memory card. Sure hate to with Vita memory card prices what they are, but I've been out of space for quite sometime.

6. Bryan^H

Bryan^H Producer

Are VR games limited in print run?

Half the games I see on Amazon are not available.

7. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Founder
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    Just bought MOSS for the PS4 VR.

Pretty amazing game graphics-wise. It got sensational reviews!

Sam Posten likes this.
  8. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

Bryan - The PS4 sold really well for a VR system, but that's only like a couple million units. I think most VR games don't even get a physical print run and the ones that do are made in reasonable quantities.

Honestly, you're better off buying digital versions. At the very least, loading/switching games in VR is MUCH easier with digital versions instead of disc ones.

Bryan^H likes this.
  9. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

Dave
    I’m thinking about selling my PS4 and games. I haven’t turned it on in six months, and that doesn’t look to change in the next few months. So, maybe sell it now, defray some of the Switch I’m buying (as a way to get back into video gaming). And maybe buy a PS4 Pro or whatever the 4K thing is when I go 4K. I’ll need to play The Last of Us 2!

I’m not sure I have the patience for eBay anymore. How’s GameStop as an option for selling used systems? Or should I list it on HTF classifieds?

10. LeoA

LeoA Cinematographer

Leo
    I'd check out GameStop's Black Friday ad and see what they're advertising for trade-ins. I imagine that will be the best time to maximize your value at GameStop.

DaveF likes this.
  11. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Founder
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
  12. Message #453 of 492 Nov 19, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2018
    CraigF

CraigF Producer

Craig
    GameStop quite often has a deal where you trade in your regular PS4 for a Pro + some cash (I forget amount, but usually well less than half the cost of a Pro). These deals are usually not around this time of year though. And there is a current Sony deal for a slim 1TB PS4 + Spiderman that doesn't help what $$ you'd get for your PS4 now. IOW this may not be the best time to sell the console, might be a good time for selling the games.

DaveF likes this.
  13. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

With the exception of the GameStop trade-in specials, I believe Amazon generally has the best trade-in values all around.

EDIT: Also, the PS4 Pro does "4K" versus 4K. It isn't a native 4K gaming system the same way the Xbox One X is and doesn't support 4K UHD discs. The biggest improvement is HDR...which you can actually get on a regular PS4, too.

DaveF likes this.
  14. CraigF

CraigF Producer

Craig
    I may be mistaken about GameStop not having some PS4 trade-in deals at this time, this year (I was going on past practice). I say this because their Canadian operation has some, they usually don't around BF, so maybe in the U.S. too where BF deals are usually much more prevalent/better.

15. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

Dave
    Thanks for the ideas. I’m in no rush, being Thanksgiving weekend.

And after a quick check, GS offers $112 cash for my PS4, and probably $5 per game. So...meh. If I find a friend or neighbor who wants to buy somewhere in the middle of GS buy/resell prices, I’d get more motivated.

When I’ve got a chance, I’ll take a look at Amazon and the nearby local used game shop to see what they offer.

If I were organized and really ready to sell off, there might have been a better deal to sell to GS if I were also buying the Switch from them. But I’m buying the Switch from Target, and while I’m out of town. So, no synergy there. :)

16. CraigF

CraigF Producer

Craig
    ^ Some of these BF Sony PS4 stuff deals are so good that it almost makes me want to buy stuff I don't need, as "spares", or because I'm stupid. e.g. I can trade in my old 500GB OG PS4 with v1 DS4, and get a new 1TB slim PS4 with v2 DS4 and Spider-Man game for ~US$60. The game must be "worth" close to $60, a new DS4 (not noted for their reliability...good to have spares), plus more storage and a possibly-quieter PS4...

another e.g. the Moss/Astro Bot PSVR bundle: I want the games anyway, but if you subtract their value from the BF bundle cost, it is essentially the price of getting the PSVR repaired in Canada (it's a fixed price regardless of prob). The camera is "free" (as it really should be...). Just watch...my PSVR headset or PU will break a week after BF and I'll be kicking myself. The headsets do seem to be quite durable though, I don't think I truly need a spare myself, I think having only "supervised adults" using it, mostly me, helps keep it in good shape.

17. Bryan^H

Bryan^H Producer

Have you thought about Sony VR? IT is $100 off this week. I love it, and it brought the system back to life for me, especially the fact that almost every game is VR exclusive, and most games are between 4-12 hours long(very easy to pick up and play) and between $20-$30.

It is an awesome device.

18. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

Dave
    Friends have one and I’ve had a really good demo. It’s really cool. But not for me right now. It’s not a lack of good games that keeps me from the PS4; I’ve got a bunch of good, unfinished games. Just don’t have time, with other hobbies taking what used to be my video game time.

Bryan^H likes this.
  19. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
    Greenmangaming has Plus for $37.99 right now. You must claim an individual voucher thingy to get it, which is easy.