PS4 owners thread

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Sam Posten, Nov 14, 2013.

1. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

David Fischer
    There have been good games. Unless you've played them previously. Journey was free the month after I bought it.

2. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
    Looking forward to Tearaway.

3. mattCR

mattCR Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Matt
    Horizon Zero Dawn is maybe the best original IP I've played on any next gen platform. Really, really well realized, great combat system, unique story.. I'm hours into it and love everything about it. The look is fantastic.

joshEH and Sam Posten like this.
  4. Steve Y

Steve Y Supporting Actor

A few thoughts...
    • I don't like the idea of streaming video games from the cloud when my infrastructure is still so unreliable. I'm sure others have better luck. It's partly a cranky generational thing for me... I like seeing graphics rendered locally, and I like the silly illusion of "ownership" - what can I say? Bah humbug!
    • Consider the Horizon Zero Dawn recommendation seconded. Just a stunning game from a developer I didn't know had it (this kind of game) in them.
    • My Xbox One is now my media device, and the PS4 is my gaming device. The PS3 was better at that stuff.
    • Although I'm a Plus member, I already owned most of the games they "gave away" this month. Considering the number of games I already own, I get way more out of the Plus discounts than the free games.
    Too many amazing titles out right now. No time to play them all. My backlog is hopeless.

joshEH likes this.
  5. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

Steve - I think the appeal of PS4 games on PS Now is more for playing them on a PC or other non-PS4 platform. Also, before the PS4 was released, Sony said they could use that streaming ability to let you start immediately playing a game that you bought on the PSN store while it was downloading in the background. I wonder if that's something they're going to have in mind when this function rolls out.

6. Richard_Hersey

Richard_Hersey Auditioning

Richard Hersey
    I was planning to get Horizon Zero Dawn, but turn out my choice to Nioh when it was released. I have to say that the game difficulty is awful. I need more than 3 hours to get used with the enemy.

7. mattCR

mattCR Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Matt
    I finally played HZD on a PS4 Pro with a 4K HDR screen. Good lord. The game is beautiful on regular PS4, but add in a pro with HDR? Incredible. Easily the best looking game I've played non-PC

8. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

Sony had their E3 press event last night. It was a bit weird because it was more or less just an hour of videos rather than people chatting on stage, but I thought it did a good job overall. They don't have any hardware to announce and no price drops, so there wasn't much of a need for other stuff. One big omission was indie stuff, which they're very big on but didn't mention during the show. Many games were new announcements, in addition to the many announcements made during their pre-show like Undertale.

God of War looked great and Days Gone impressed me, but man that Shadow of the Colossus trailer had me more excited than most trailers I've seen in the past few years. I'm hoping they add in more Colossi based on the ones that had to be scrapped, but I'll pick it up and play the heck out of it, either way.

9. LeoA

LeoA Cinematographer

Leo
    Nice to see Shadow of the Colossus reappear with a full fledged remake.

Bluepoint Games are a talented bunch, so I'm sure it's in good hands.

10. Jeff Cooper

Jeff Cooper Screenwriter

A bit disappointed in the show actually. Seemed like 90% of it was stuff we already knew about and/or was also showcased last year. The audience really didn't seem that into it either. All the cuts to the audience showed people giving golf claps and looking bored.

Don't get me wrong, stuff we saw looked great, but there just wasn't any kind of 'wow factor'. Biggest surprise for me was Shadow of the Colossus. However after recently getting the platinum on the PS3 version which requires nearly 7 complete playthroughs, It's safe to say I'm not needing to re-visit that one any time soon. :D

Also as a PSVR owner, only Bravo Team and The Inpatient looked intriguing, and after reading that Bravo Team will rely heavily on co-op communication, I kind of wrote that one off.

11. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

The Inpatient is a sort-of prequel to Until Dawn. That was the vibe I got from the trailer and that really intrigues me.

I think Sony's event was better than Microsoft's because they showed a bunch of games, mostly exclusives (and a good number VR), that will be out within the next year. However, I think Nintendo kind of one-upped them with their 25 minute video because it was a bunch of pretty cool new announcements for things that are actually coming in 2017 (versus "before the next E3, maybe"). And they continued to announce stuff that their fans are dying for, like the new 3DS Metroid.

But back to Sony, I think they're in a good place and don't need to do anything besides announce and show off games. Sure, we knew about Uncharted and God of War, but the trailers were still pretty excellent and I'm excited for both. They also didn't even show off The Last of Us 2, which is going to be a HUGE thing for them in the future. They have The Game Awards and PSX to show off more things in the fall/winter, so I expect they're trying to be a bit strategic about it all.

Oh, and Days Gone surprised me. I had kind of written it off last year as being uninteresting, but the demo was pretty cool.

12. Russell G

Russell G Fake Shemp

Russell
  13. Gary Seven

Gary Seven Grand Poo Pah

Gaston
    I would like to get a PS4 Pro in the near future but I am hesitant with new console releases that improve on the predecessor. Does anyone know if there is a new PS4 planned to be released or is this it until PS5?

14. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

Pretty much as soon as the PS4 and Xbox One came out, there were rumors of newer versions that were 4K-capable. Now that the PS4 Pro has been out almost a year and the Xbox One X preorders are about to open up, there are no rumors of the next consoles yet. You're probably good for 2-3 years from now, honestly.

15. Gary Seven

Gary Seven Grand Poo Pah

Gaston
    Thanks for responding. In that case, I will wait for the next bundle as the current ones don't have the games I am interested in. Probably by Xmas.

16. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
    I personally believe we will see faster console refreshes with modest upgrades and 100% backwards compatibility, but I have zero articles to back that up. Honestly tho it frustrates me seeing people wait for bargains on consoles. Any 'deal' you are ever going to get is less than the retail price of a game or two. I'm all for getting in early and often. Maybe if you are only buying a game or two a year and only in the $20 rack, that might make sense. If you aren't really into the whole gamer thing but just want something to putter around with once in a while. If you are gonna play the damn thing for a good amount of time the best time to buy is early tho...

17. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

To me, buying early is generally a mistake when it comes to technology. If it's a well-established brand and the reviews of hardware are good, then it's more reasonable. But you usually end up paying full price to beta test a product that has limited use because it's too young to have wide support.

With consoles, this means hardware issues at launch (overheating, warping, controller problems, bricked systems....and that's just from the PS4 and Switch) and nothing to play (most of the time). So I totally understand waiting a few years for prices to come down, issues to be ironed out, and for good games to get cheap. I didn't buy an Xbox 360 until like 3 or 4 years after it was out. I loaded up on the best exclusives and tore through them. Conversely, I bought a PS4 the day it came out, had nothing much to play, and my launch controller has joystick issues (surprisingly common problem). I could have waited a bit and bought a slim PS4 with a bunch of games for the price of my launch PS4 alone. Do I regret it? Absolutely not. But I totally understand why someone would wait.

In regards to hardware upgrades, I'm curious to see where the next generation goes. I think Nintendo might have scared Sony and MS a little (just a little) with the popularity of the Switch by showing how much demand and excitement there is over the idea of a portable/console system. I could see Nintendo offering a Switch+ in a few years as a mid-gen upgrade (similar to PS4 Pro and Xbox One X) or Sony/MS looking at the idea of portable consoles more seriously going forward. This may take the form of an app where you remotely play games on a phone or tablet (Sony and MS both actually have this right now) or an actual portable handheld. Then again, Sony and MS might try to focus on the fight over the living room and let Nintendo have the rest. Will this all incorporate mid-gen upgrades? Possibly. Since console hardware has become essentially the same as PCs, we may see gaming become a split between a streaming service (PS Now) and actual consoles. Maybe you buy a cheap $50 streaming player and a controller then play games at HD resolution through the internet or you buy a $400 console and play games in 4K HDR in your living room? Or they release a new $400 console every 2 years, cut the most recent rev down to $200, and your games are guaranteed to always play on the next thing?

Either way, I haven't bought a PS4 Pro yet because I don't have a 4K TV.

18. Gary Seven

Gary Seven Grand Poo Pah

Gaston
    I bought early PS3 and Xbox 360. What did that get me? Yellow and red rings of death respectively. So I never buy early anymore.

19. CraigF

CraigF Cinematographer

Craig
    When it comes to any Sony product, you want the second generation version. It probably won't look quite as nice as the first generation, and possibly won't have a few of the backward-compatibility capabilities, but it will be reliable, have some "forward compatibility" capabilities, will have good performance, and will most likely last past your use/interest in it.

By "second generation" I don't mean just a refinement of the first gen's guts, I mean essentially a complete re-doing, you'll know when you see it, Sony is very good at this.

20. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

For that, this gen, you got the PS4 Pro, which was an upgrade with more features rather than less. Same with Xbox One S.